• Register Today It's free!

Oil Sludge Clean-up?

NJExplorerFan

Reaction score
City, State
New Jersey
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Limited
So I got an oil change this week and the guy at the Valvoline Center tells me that I have oil sludge build-up in my engine. He even brought out the oil cap to show this white gunk that has built up.

Is this even possible or is he just trying to sell me his $70 oil sludge clean-up at the shop? I thought they sell stuff you can buy and just pour in yourself to clean any oil sludge?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So here's the deal. Conventional oil has a tendency to get gunky when it's exposed too long. Switch to a good full synthetic, and it alone will help to clean up the sludge over a couple of oil changes.

So I got an oil change this week and the guy at the Valvoline Center tells me that I have oil sludge build-up in my engine. He even brought out the oil cap to show this white gunk that has built up.

Is this even possible or is he just trying to sell me his $70 oil sludge clean-up at the shop? I thought they sell stuff you can buy and just pour in yourself to clean any oil sludge?

The white gunk in the cap is common, caused by moisture collecting in that area. I don't think that should be used as an indicator that you have sludge buildup in your engine. An old rag should take care of that problem.

As for nasty buildup in your engine I'm not sure you can really tell without pulling valve covers and oil pan. I also wonder what a $70 oil sludge cleanup actually is. Do they put in a chemical to wash the crud into your pan and hope it can be drained out? Do they give you before and after pictures of inside your engine, or do they wipe out your cap to show it worked?

I have seen the nasty stuff that builds up inside a poorly maintained engine and the only way to remove it is take it apart and clean it.

For heavy detergent oils, pennz ultra is the best you can get over the counter. I personally use Amsoil and after 80k miles in my mustang the motor is still clean.

For really bad engines, I sometimes run a quart of mercron ATF with 4 quarts of cheap oil and run the engine wot down the highway a few times. Then drain and replace with fresh oil. Works like a charm.

I use a good conventional oil with 1 quart of marvel mystery oil and change it every 3,000 miles. only because synthetic oil costs so much.

one way to generate more income (quick cash) to the shop for gullible customers. unless your car has history of overheating, cooling problems and hasn't got any oil change for years I'd go for it. checking the cap for sludge is not the ideal way to check.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

ha ha... I figured what the guy told me was bs. Thought I'd mention it here anyway just for confirmation. The truck runs fine and maybe just some white gunk built up on the cap due to some normal moisture - it is 11 years old with 117K miles after all. I guess I have nothing to worry about for now.

I use a good conventional oil with 1 quart of marvel mystery oil and change it every 3,000 miles. only because synthetic oil costs so much.

Here's the deal. Oil companies spend millions of dollars developing their additive packs. Then you put a bottle of "mystery oil" in there and it more than likely dilutes the additive pack.

Synthetic is no more expensive because you can use extended drain intervals. If you use Amsoil and one of their filters you can push out to 15000 miles. I run amsoil with a motorcraft filter and just change the filter after 5000 and top it off and run it another 5.

Buuutttttt if I were to use a conventional, it would be valvoline white bottle.

Also, never EVER use Lucas Oil Stabilizer. There's no additives and it foams at high engine speeds.

Back