• Register Today It's free!

Oil temperature gauge (I think)

bartgillam

Reaction score
City, State
north augusta south carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 mercury mountaineer
I am going to attach a video as an edit to this post but i seem to having some kind of issue with the oil temperature gauge. It works fine and sits in the dead middle most of the time indicating everything is all good but when i hit the brakes and come to a stop or sometimes when i hit the gas kinda hard it will jump to L and either bounce right back to the center or sometimes it sits there for a few seconds and the check gauge light comes on then it bounces back where it wasn and everything goes back to normal. The car has stalled twice during this happening but im not sure if it is related but more then likely is. The video i will post shows it dropping to L then almost instantly back to normal.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

couldn't tell you what the problem is, but i think its an oil pressure guage, not temp :D

Your oil pressure gage only tells you thet you have oil pressure or not. Looks like one of three things going on here. 1-your oil level is low enough that oil is moving away from the pickup,causing a momentary loss of oil pressure. 2- the wiring is loose on the sending unit, causing a momentary loss of contact, causing the gage to quit reading. 3- the gage is faulty, or a loose wire.
Check the oil level, pull wire from sending unit, have someone watch the gage, ground the wire, should read normal.

oil might be low and that is definately your oil pressure gauge

Back