• Register Today It's free!

Oil warning light

John Field

Reaction score
City, State
Wellington, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Eddie Bauer
Hi again, Yesterday driving uphill at 40mph with cruise control engaged the oil can warning light lit up and the engine cut out completely. I was luckily able to coast to the nearside, turned the ignition off, then on again and the engine ran perfectly with no oil can illuminated. Could have been serious in the outside lane on a highway. Any ideas of cause?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

restriction in the system? not sure, if you do that again, does that come back? wonder if the pump is going out to not provide adequate pressure under load... or its just a fluke... oul level good?

restriction in the system? not sure, if you do that again, does that come back? wonder if the pump is going out to not provide adequate pressure under load... or its just a fluke... oul level good?
Oil level is OK. I drove about ten more miles and it didn't happen again

Oil level is OK. I drove about ten more miles and it didn't happen again
interesting.... can you hook up a pressure tester maybe to see if it changes with rpm etc? could just be the switch bugging

interesting.... can you hook up a pressure tester maybe to see if it changes with rpm etc? could just be the switch bugging
Thanks. Can't do anything for a while, but I think your suggestion should help find a solution. Thanks.

Back