Oil | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil

Hey William,
Hi, This is Ches, the Amsoil Dealer.

I would not worry about the viscosity unless you get to a 16.

Since you change the full flow filters out more rapidly, I would not change the bypass until 25,000 or once a year. It is designed to hold a significant amount of contaminants and water. Even the BE-90 that is overkill!

Your silicon is very low. Are you running a stock paper air filter? And do you have the petcock vakve on your bypass or did you pull from the dipstick tube?

Since you have increased the sump value of your vehicle your TBN should stay above a 5 no matter what you do. If you ran a synthetic blend or a Group III your Viscosity would be around 8.3 at that mileage (20WT).

Kilroy,
If you had ran a good synthetic in the LTD (transmission and engine) you could expect it to reach well over 300K with the care you have given it. It's a known fact that synthetics reduce fuel usage and downtime enough to save Americans millions of dollars. The most common problems or solutions synthetics provide is lower emissions which reduce problems with EGR and PCV systems which eventually cut down sludge which is the main problem for engine failures.

P.S. At one of our Corvair meetings a new member showed up in a 69 Ford LTD, red with the trim kit, etc. Man, it was the coolest car I have seen in a long time. You don't see those anymore.
After watching Hawaii 5-O I think a 68-72 Ford 4-door sedan (or Merc) will be my next project in Black of course!

Bookem Danno

www.syntheticwarehouse.com
Sponsor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Chez

I use on of the lightly oiled cone type filters {KKM}
for my intake.

is there a problem with the silicon ? ???
I have a petcock valve installed,I let about 5 ounces flow out into a waste container,then fill up the sample bottle.

this is all done when the engine is running and fully warmed up.

Re: Chez

Originally posted by William Schumacher
I use on of the lightly oiled cone type filters {KKM}
for my intake.

is there a problem with the silicon ? ???

No problem at all. Usually I see them around a 22 which brings suspicion to a bad air filter. No, that looks fine to me. Now if you didn't maintain that filer you will see that value increase.

How many miles is the Oil Indicator Reminder set at ??

I think If I were you I might just do some research and find some empirical data rather than sacrificing your engine in the name of experimentation that's already been completed. Anway, just my $.02.
I generally drive my Explorer 500 mi. a month; I have a Neon that I put most of my miles on. So here's another demension to look at this topic; TIME instead of mileage. I run Mobile 1 5w-30, but it takes about 6 months for me to accrue 3k. Does time have a factor in the oil change; obviously not as much as mileage, but I was wondering if I should be changing it every 3 months, or should I just wait 6 months to change it??? Thanks!

The only way to tell is to pull a sample and have it tested

Originally posted by 2NRFIXR
I think If I were you I might just do some research and find some empirical data rather than sacrificing your engine in the name of experimentation that's already been completed. Anway, just my $.02.
I generally drive my Explorer 500 mi. a month; I have a Neon that I put most of my miles on. So here's another demension to look at this topic; TIME instead of mileage. I run Mobile 1 5w-30, but it takes about 6 months for me to accrue 3k. Does time have a factor in the oil change; obviously not as much as mileage, but I was wondering if I should be changing it every 3 months, or should I just wait 6 months to change it??? Thanks!

Actually if you are in a cold climate time would have a greater detrimental value than mileage as the moisture buildup will take more toll on the alkalinity of the oil. Some people see the white foam on the underside of the oil fill cap.

Get a by-pass filter and forget about it. Our bypass filters hold up to one pint of water.
www.syntheticwarehouse.com

Where can you mount the Amsoil bypass system on a 99?

Back