Oil | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil

Travis,

Take the next sample at 10,000 miles since everything looked A-OK on the 5000 miles sample.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bringing this to top...

I got true the 6 page of this tread, still some question. Is the grade of the syntetic of importance, up here in Canada I get very freezing temp in winter and some not to hot in summer, will 5W50 do the trick because it is the only grade I seem to find. Also is there a way of knowing if there is an AMZOIL dealer around here, my cousin run a semi-trailer buisiness and run's AMZOIL but I did not see him for over a year so... I am ready to change to syntetic but dont want to switch brand because didn't find the right one at first.

you guys should learn don't listen to the oil comps

my 90 t-bird needed supercharger oil changed every 30,000 miles my 92 tbird said from the factory , because of sythetic fluid NEVER NEEDS CHANGING . I PUT 200,000 ON THE 90 AND 450,000 ON THE 92 . I CHANGED OIL AND FILTER AT 22,000 KM , AND NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH EITHER . DID NOT USE ANY ! OIL BETWEEN CHANGES . KEEP CHANGING EVERY 3,000 , I OWN STOCK IN OIL COMPANIES , BUT REALLY WHY SUPPORT ME ! PLEASE SAVE YOUR MONEY , IF YOU HAVE A MAJOR FAILURE IT IS MOST PROBABLY DUE TO A DEFECT NOTHING TO DO WITH OIL CHANGES !

Originally posted by 95XLT
Ray,
i have only had my Explorer for 5,000 miles. i changed the oil right when I got it and the oil is darker, but not as far as being black. i think I may change it this weekend or next, depending if i have time. Thanks

------------------
TravisN1@AOL.COM
1995 XLT 4x4

UPDATE!

Everyone...I have 9,600 miles on my oil now. I am going to pull anohter sample at 10,000 miles and send it out. I should have the 400 miles on in a week or 2 and the restults another week or so after that. Check back soon for the results!

My wife bought her 94 XLT in 1999 at 91,000 kms. It now has 130,000 kms. When she bought the truck it had a small rear seal leak, front manifold gasket leak. We have used synthetic since she bought it, all the leaks have dried up. The oil will be changed every 5000-7000 kms. I have used Castrol 5-50, 10-30, 5-30. Mobil 1 15-50. Quaker State 4X4 10-30 mixed with Mobil 10-30. The oil filters I have used are Kralinator, Purolator, Ford Motorcraft, Fram. Synthetic will reduce the wear from the point that you use it. If you only change the oil filter every 15,000 miles. The oil also holds particles is suspension, reducing wear. The oil should be changed because you want the oil reducing the wear, but the particles left in the oil will do the opposite right behind the sythetic.

Well, the Royal Purple came back with Elevated nitration and low TBN so I was instructed to replace filter and oil. Thanks for all the help and thanks to AgExplorer for the test kits!

Is anyone else doing an oil study?

I plan on doing a 20k study in my truck with analysis at 5 k intervals.

Not really a study but I do send in most of my oil samples in for analysis. The last oil change of Mobil 1 had about 5K miles on it and I'm getting ready to mail another sample of Mobil 1 with 5K miles on it.

Would you please post your past results as well as the new onw when you get it?

Thanks.....

Hi! Here is my Oil analysis using Amsoil 0W-30 for over one year. The 0W-30 has a 35,000 mile or 1 year guarantee. If you do analysis they can back your oil longer. You must know that Amsoil is not effected by temperatures below 300 degrees and will not turn to sludge thus resists thermal oxidation. Also it's your filters job to remove soot and blow by materials. As long as your oil has the proper TBN it will not cause corrosion and will out last the "Marketeers" (That's my name for all the non 100% synthetics that take your money, keep you waisting resources and perpetuate this 3000 mile change nonsence.)
Amsoil is the only one that backs their own product. As a dealer you get all sorts of news about who is suing who, etc. And the fact is all the others watch Amsoil and try to keep up. Currently (quoted in Lubes and Greases) other brands are where Amsoil was in 1976. Did you know Mobil 1 doesn't even meet specs for CH-4?? About 1/2 of all the various weights from Amsoil does. There is so much to keep in mind, but truthfully by following Amsoils Service Recomendation your car at 100,000 miles will be (engine that is) just like it was when it was 10,000 miles old. When Quaker State comes out with a oil for "Higher Mileage Engines" this is a joke. If the owner used a oil of higher quality the vehicle would not have these "High Mileage Signs".

On the link below is my Mazda. the top three lines is the same oil. I used three filters (Amsoil SDF-13) If I could fit the By-pass filter in the engine compartment I would still be using that oil. I changed it out at 29,000 miles and it was 1.5 years old. The wear you see is slightly higher than normal because I raced tha car in 2 road races and did several autocrosses as well. One last point: If you ever blow a hose or something that causes your engine to overheat. Amsoil 4 out of 5 times will save your engine from serious damage. That dino will burn, smoke and cause parts to seize not to mention it cannot withstand the bearing pressures (Sheer Stability) that occur around the crank..

Dead Link Removed

Ches
explorerforum sponsor

POWER STEERING OIL CHANGE

Hi ! One quesiton please..

How do I change the oil in the power steering ? I`v never done it before and it`s starting to be a bit noisy. The level is ok but it has 50,000 mils so I guess it should be change.

thank you !

Today, I pulled an oil sample and changed the filter. This is the 7500 test.

I am running Amsoil 0w30.

Visually the oil was very dark and nasty looking.

Will post the results as soon as they arrive.

I received the results of my oil testing today.

To quote their summary:

Oil is suitablre for continued use
Change oil filter if not performed already ( I did it at 7500K )
Resample at next regular interval ( 15k )

Sccot NA
% Oxd 2.2
% Nox 24.3
TBN 6.1

Gary, please make comments and explain the significance of the data.

Al,

I had a copy of your report faxed to me and it looks excellent.

The low OXD and NOX indicate that your emissions systems are functioning properly and are helping the longevity of the oil.

The TBN is a measure of the oils ability to fight acid formation. I would have expected this to be slightly higher with the 4.0 SOHC but you are in excellent shape. It should stabilize barring any other problems.

Soot is only measured in diesel applications.

One thing that kind of stuck out was the viscosity. Again, you are OK but I would have thought it to be in the range of 11 to 12 with only 7500 miles on the oil. You may want to call Oil Analyzers and ask them to retest for viscosity. There's no charge for this. Every once in a while, they will misread something. It's happened to me once.

You're in great shape. All wear metals are exceptionally low and the oil is holding on to additive package very well. Keep on exploring.

This test further supports the myth of the 3k oil change.

I look foward to the 15k test.

Today is the day.... to change the filter ( and add a new quart ) and pull a sample for the 15k oil analysis.

I have been running Ansoil Series 2000 0W30 oil.

This is the second filter change and the second quart of oil added since the start of the test.

I dunno if this is good or bad, but in 2 other vehicles, I've gone over 16,000 before an oil change. This is, of course, with FULL synthetic Mobile 1 or Penzoil Synthetic, and either a Fram Double guard or another quality filter ;).

Never had a hint of problems from them, and that was all SO-CAL driving.

I've got a lil over 10K in the X now, and I HOPE they changed the fluid to synthetic at the dealer I got it from (cuz it looks GREAT and isn't low yet). I'll swing by Ford & get a filter tomorrow, and maybe change the tranny fluid as well if I can find some decent fluids at Walmart (can't help but shop there for cheap prices on name brand Synthetic oils).

This is a GREAT topic. I got alot of info out of it.

Got 18K out of my last Mobil 1 oil change. Had it analyzed, and the results were noral, but change was recommended. I had a 79 LTD that I got 300K miles out of before the body decided to quit living, and ran Castrol Dino in it. One time I went 30K between changes with just adding oil, mainly because I never had time to change the oil, or when I did, the weather wasnt cooperative, but when I removed the engine from the defucnt body to put into another car, I had to replace the pan with the correct one so I inspected the engine while I had it apart, and the results were the engine was almost like new, there was no noticable wear, the only thing that determined wear was the plastigauge showed ~.003 difference from when the bearings were initially installed. It was an engine I had blue printed myself.

Moral of the story, use good oil, good filters, they dont need to be synthetic, and you don't have to change it every 3000 miles like Jiffy lube would want you to with their marketing hype. In fact there was an article on MSN about saving money and the first thing on the list was the 3000 mile myth.

For what it's worth, I found an interesting little tidbit from BMW concerning the use of synthetic oils.

Due to the improvements in oil quality provided by synthetic oil, the interval to change engine oil has been increased from 1 to a maximum of 2 years.

Yes, you read right, 2 YEARS.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

40k on oil !

oil :
Amsoil's 0-30 series 2000.

Filtration :,
Amsoil's Remote "dual By-pass" setup using an Amsoil SDF-15,as well as a BP-100 filter.

I started out changing the sdf-15 every 5k and the BP-100 every 10k,I was told that was overkill and for the last 30k been changing the SDF-15 every 10k and the BP-100 every 15k.

I did get a flag that was highlighted on this past analysis.

the viscosity level rose a tad to 13.81, TBN is at 8.70.
nitr is at 34.0,and the oxid is at 14.0.

Iron was at..... 34
Chromium at..... 2
Lead was at..... 9
Copper was at 23
Aluminum at ......9
Silicon ..............11
Boron.................1
Sodium ..............8
Manesium.......390
Calcium.........2939
Phosph.........1258
Zinc...............1356
Molybdenum.....11

everything else was at 0

and no need to change it yet.
the very large BP-100 will be getting changed out next month !

this is absolute proof that we can go longer on the oil !
but keep in mind that superior filtration is a must.

Back