• Register Today It's free!

Ok, I admit defeat!!

vamp8267

Reaction score
City, State
tulsa, ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 exploder xlt
For starters, hello everyone. I have a 1996 xlt that I'm having what appears to be a fairly common problem that I searched on here for the past 3 days and haven't been able to find an answer that fits my scenario.. Ok here goes, I'm replacing my current HU it's the cassette deck with amp, rear controls, no subwoofer. I have a '01 factory deck that is the cd/cassette one that the explorer it came out of I know had amp, subwoofer, and rear controls.
The wiring harness on my current deck has a semi-square connector with a total of 16 wires and a flat long connector with 6 wires. No diagrams I've found yet have more than 14 wires listed total!?!?!? And the other deck has 3 plugs, 1 is a 8 pin wth 4 wires on it, the next is a 16 pin with 15 wires on it, and the 3rd is a 20 pin with 10 total wires. I just want to wire this newer deck up and be done with it. So is there ANYONE out there that can tell me what wires I need to put where? Oh and the actual model # of my current deck is F57F-19B165-AG and the one I want to put in is a MACH model # YL2F-18C868-CA. Anybody got the knowhow to help me out on this one? And sorry I currently don't have the cash to go buy adaptors. Thanks to anyone that can help me tackle this one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, as I stated in my post, the '01 stereo is a MACH system and that explorer had a subwoofer in the back quarter and rear controls.
Oh, and my amp is located in the back quarter of my ex. I have the deck that looks like a double din until you pull it out and it's a single din with a double din face. The '01 is a true double din.

running in circles

:roll:

running in circles

Sorry guys, my computer crashed and I'm just now getting it up and running proper again. Joe, that thread is actually the closest I'd come to my situation so far but it doesn't help me in any way shape or form. For one, unlike Brooksie, I'm COMPLETELY stuck on what wire where. He at least had a headstart on some of them. Second, my replacement HU is out of a 2001 and it's a MACH unit. Although similar in physical appearances, my HU has one more plug than his does. It's the small 8 pin plug that shows as a blank spot on brooksies deck, upper row, left of the one that says AMP across it. Now then, since I'm having issues with all things electronic at this point, I'm not going to post pics of the situation. But this is the info. that I CAN provide to anyone feeling gutsy here.
MY **CURRENT** WIRING HARNESS' ARE AS FOLLOWS:
Grey 8 pin:
GREEN, BLACK, YELLOW/BLACK STRIPE, GREY/RED STRIPE, skip one, GREEN/BLACK STRIPE, skip one, BLUE.
Black 16 pin:
PURPLE, GREEN/RED STRIPE, BLACK, GREEN, WHITE/ORANGE STRIPE, BLUE/BLACK STRIPE, YELLOW, BLUE/PINK STRIPE. Second row:
GREY, ORANGE/BLACK STRIPE, GREEN/BLACK STRIPE, WHITE/RED STRIPE, MEDIUM BROWN, PURPLE/WHITE STRIPE, BLUE, LIGHT BROWN or BEIGE.
The deck I'm trying to put in has 3 connectors.
16 pin:
GREEN/PURPLE STRIPE, YELLOW/BLACK STRIPE, GREEN/BLACK STRIPE, GREY/BLUE STRIPE, BEIGE/YELLOW STRIPE, ORANGE/GREEN STRIPE, BLUE/WHITE STRIPE, BLACK/GREEN STRIPE. second row:
RED/BLACK STRIPE, BLACK, RED/BLACK STRIPE, ORANGE/RED STRIPE, GREY/RED STRIPE, WHITE/GREEN STRIPE, GREEN/BROWN STRIPE.
20 pin:
BEIGE, BLUE/PINK STRIPE, GREEN BLACK STRIPE. middle row:
GREY/BLACK STRIPE. last row:
GREEN/RED STRIPE, PURPLE, ORANGE/BLACK STRIPE, GREY, BLACK, BLUE/RED STRIPE.
8 pin:
ORANGE/GREY STRIPE, RED/BLACK STRIPE, BLACK, GREEN/PURPLE STRIPE.
No wires on the second row. Thanks to anyone that can help...

Will wonders never cease.

Ok, so it turns out a girl I know's father is a master installer at a major stereo install shop here. He took the deck and returned the next day plugged it in and WOW!!! Everything works except the rear controls (never used them anyways!). AND he only charged me for the harness adapter he made for it. Now have an '01 deck with cassette and cd player, and even gets the over the air info that the radio stations send out! It's SWEEEET!! Oh, and if anyone wants to copy this folly of mine without the ensuing migraine, PM me and I'll pony up the info on the harness.

Help

Vamp I sent you a PM about this. I was hoping that you could send me this info on the wiring harness.
Tks..

Back