Okay, I'm new here and just got a 95 Explorer. This should be fun | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Okay, I'm new here and just got a 95 Explorer. This should be fun

Tedybear

Reaction score
City, State
Fulton, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
Hiya all.

Currently trying to replace my aging Bronco II. Engine is very noisy and has oil pressure issues. (no rod knocks, but a lot of valve train noise that's been getting worse as the months roll on)

So I picked up a 1995 Ford Explorer Sport. Not in that horrific shape, but very high miles (around the 250k mark.) (I'll do a full intro over at the New Member forum, but wanted to get the ball rolling on ideas and suggestions for maintenance issues this will need to address before it goes on the road.)

Couple of things noted:

Engine seems to run like a top! No unusual noises other then below:

Random Squeak under the hood. I found the sticky about this. I will need to inspect the drive belt and pulley, so I'll see if I can get lucky with that check.

No Cruse control, and the horn button is relocated to the dash pad as the one in the wheel has failed. No airbag light(s).

Zero parking brake. Pedal has some slight stiff to it, but it fails to hold the SUV. It's a standard, it needs a parking brake.

Rust....For a 2 door it's confined to the rockers and the area directly behind both front doors I think it's the part called the "Dog Leg". Can't find any replacement parts for that. Might need to stop in at the local salvage yard and see if the guy will cut out the panel from one of the scuds in his yard.

Exhaust: He clamped down the broken flange at the converter with 2 hose clamps and drove it that way. Unique fix, but one good NYS pot hole? And it's gone.

And what's up with that keyless entry? One broken FOB. One that works but needs the battery replaced. This doesn't have the key pad on the door, just a really touchy anti theft system.

Unlock the door with a key? Starts to beep at you.
Unlock it with the fob? Need to hit the fob again for it to crank (or maybe I'm just to slow getting it ready to start.)

I have 2 additional FOB's coming for it via eBay.

I'll post some photos eventually. I love a good project, and while it has high miles? The underbody and frame where pretty clean, except that area with the rockers....

Tomorrow's plan:

Change the oil & filter
Change thermostat and coolant.
Put on tires that have physical tread left.
Make shopping list of parts needed and maintenance items.
Try and get parking brake to work.

I figured start with the basic maintenance first.

Any general advice or suggestions are welcome. I know the 4wd works, running with bald tires in 4" of mud... Turned the 4WD/Lo on. It walked right out of the mud bog and 1/2 up the muddy hill where the barn is on the family property.

Thanks!

S-

Back