old guy, wife said get a hobby, 94 explorer | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

old guy, wife said get a hobby, 94 explorer

Cheapest and least stressful would be a smaller tire in my opinion.

The situation you are in now is that, if your drive axle ratio is a 3.27 to 1 like the tag says the transmission cannot deal with all of the torque needed to move the mass of the truck from a dead stop.

By 3.27 to 1 we mean 3.27 turns of the drive shaft to 1 turn of the wheels.

Coupled with 33" tires and we need a lot of torque to get the mass moving.

From what I have learned here the best option would be 3.73 to 1 or 4.10 to 1.

Others please correct me if I am wrong.

However, I would assume that you are a very conservative driver and you are not trying to crawl up rock hills of chase down Corvettes from a red light so you may not have many issues if you take it easy. from a start.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Cheapest and least stressful would be a smaller tire in my opinion.

The situation you are in now is that, if your drive axle ratio is a 3.27 to 1 like the tag says the transmission cannot deal with all of the torque needed to move the mass of the truck from a dead stop.

By 3.27 to 1 we mean 3.27 turns of the drive shaft to 1 turn of the wheels.

Coupled with 33" tires and we need a lot of torque to get the mass moving.

From what I have learned here the best option would be 3.73 to 1 or 4.10 to 1.

Others please correct me if I am wrong.

However, I would assume that you are a very conservative driver and you are not trying to crawl up rock hills of chase down Corvettes from a red light so you may not have many issues if you take it easy. from a start.
taking it easy on starts sounds like a viable option for now. when these 33s wear out i will replace with smaller tires but i still have the 10 inch wheels. so what size tires should i be looking for?

Other member more learned in this situation may be of more valued assistance.

Get that VSS speedo gear swapped asap! I would use the black 20 tooth RH gear. Call your closest Ford dealer and ask if they have one. If not, ask them to do a nation wide search for who does. They are only $5/ea, and take 5 mins to install with an 11mm.

Having the speedo read correctly is important for the transmission. It tells the trans when to shift gears, and when not to.

Your current setup and your location, is going to cost you upwards to $1k to rebuild that trans. Unless you do something to help it, it will die, I promise you this.

Smaller tires or Gears, change that VSS gear. These are your top priorities right now.

As far as the 10" wheels go, you really don't want to run anything under 12.5" wide on them. Your going to have to start shopping for a shorter tire in that width, if your going to keep them. If you drop down in width, your going to want new wheels that aren't as wide.

Plenty of online tire sites that give the charts and dimensions of every tire they sell. Tirerack.com, is one example.

Get that VSS speedo gear swapped asap! I would use the black 20 tooth RH gear. Call your closest Ford dealer and ask if they have one. If not, ask them to do a nation wide search for who does. They are only $5/ea, and take 5 mins to install with an 11mm.

Having the speedo read correctly is important for the transmission. It tells the trans when to shift gears, and when not to.

Your current setup and your location, is going to cost you upwards to $1k to rebuild that trans. Unless you do something to help it, it will die, I promise you this.

Smaller tires or Gears, change that VSS gear. These are your top priorities right now.

As far as the 10" wheels go, you really don't want to run anything under 12.5" wide on them. Your going to have to start shopping for a shorter tire in that width, if your going to keep them. If you drop down in width, your going to want new wheels that aren't as wide.

Plenty of online tire sites that give the charts and dimensions of every tire they sell. Tirerack.com, is one example.
thanks i will work on the speedo gear now, and learn and shop for tires. jmczzz

Description doesn't say Right or Left hand. Might be the actual gear in the pic given, or it might be a generic pic used. Hard to say. You can always contact them and ask first. ;)

If it is the RH, I would say grab it. It's not a Motorcraft part, so I couldn't say Yay or Nay to the quality of it.

Description doesn't say Right or Left hand. Might be the actual gear in the pic given, or it might be a generic pic used. Hard to say. You can always contact them and ask first. ;)

If it is the RH, I would say grab it. It's not a Motorcraft part, so I couldn't say Yay or Nay to the quality of it.
ok i will ck and get one asap. thanks jmc

Honestly, if you can afford it, regear to 4.56:1. Keep the 33" tires and lift. It will be a very enjoyable driver.

Also make sure it has an auxilary trans fluid cooler. Consider adding a second one to keep the fluid cool and help the transmisaion live longer.

it has "R" sramped on it but my trans is Auto this says for manual ?

Works for both auto or manual trans, as it is in the transfercase.

That might not be the actual part pictured. It might be, hard to say.

I do not trust sellers on Ebay for this. They will use the same picture for a variety of similar parts, that's why I said to contact them, and ask first.

Honestly, if you can afford it, regear to 4.56:1. Keep the 33" tires and lift. It will be a very enjoyable driver.

Also make sure it has an auxilary trans fluid cooler. Consider adding a second one to keep the fluid cool and help the transmisaion live longer.
I would love too< if i was 26 rather than 76, and still made the $ I had then. adding the gears and cooler cost more than i paid for the truck and then the set up will out live me by many years. why? my wife would not drive it and just get it bought for little or nothing or maybe just give it away. i just want a hobby not a monument to be buried in. Ha, thanks for the help I do really apreciate it. jmczzz

ow about this gear says it is Ford OEM
eBay

I have a few of these gears in the tool box. I found a used 19 tooth RH. Motorcraft will say RH or LH on them. This is a RH.

vss 19 t gear.jpg

This size will get you close to the proper speed with 33's. I have found that the 20 tooth works best with 33's & 35's. If you want this 19T, you can have it, just send me a Private message with information on where to send it. It's not perfect, but it still works fine.

Here is some of the colors and part numbers for 3 of them.

InkedVSS Gears_LI.jpg

Amazon $6.70 free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-C1DZ-17271-A-GEAR-DRIVEN/dp/B000O0R2UC

I hear ya on costs that's why I said, 'if you can afford it'. You were talking about replacing the wheels and tires.

An auxiliary trans cooler won't really cost much. you don't need anything fancy.
I have a few of these gears in the tool box. I found a used 19 tooth RH. Motorcraft will say RH or LH on them. This is a RH.

View attachment 165022

This size will get you close to the proper speed with 33's. I have found that the 20 tooth works best with 33's & 35's. If you want this 19T, you can have it, just send me a Private message with information on where to send it. It's not perfect, but it still works fine.

Here is some of the colors and part numbers for 3 of them.

View attachment 165023
i already ordered a ford one. thank you for helping me and sharing your info with me. jmc

Amazon $6.70 free shipping

https://www.amazon.com/Ford-C1DZ-17271-A-GEAR-DRIVEN/dp/B000O0R2UC

I hear ya on costs that's why I said, 'if you can afford it'. You were talking about replacing the wheels and tires.

An auxiliary trans cooler won't really cost much. you don't need anything fancy.
well now i understand the wheels are 10 x 15 so i will just take it easy on these for the time being. and replace them with 10 wide ones of a smaller size so as not to have such a great impact on the trans. I think somewhere in this thread the max tire size for the gears i have is discussed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back