old man emu shocks

biggs85

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake, Utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Eddie Bauer
Hey everyone I was wondering what makes old man emu shocks so great. I see a lot of people putting them on and I was wondering why a different shock wouldn't work like the rancho 5000 or 9000. I'm am thinking of getting the rancho 5000's but see all these people getting old man emus and am wondering if i should consider them. Thanks for any input.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Old Man Emu shocks are very heavy duty. They are valved for their springs. Rancho shocks are basically just differnet size/length but they all have the same size valves. I have had rancho, Eldelbrocks and now i have the OME. i can say that OME ride the best out of all of them. Rancho shocks were extremely harsh. I belevie that the OME are of much high quality than rancho.

The main reason is that the OME shocks are manufactured with a tolerance the lifted vehicles. No other shock will work as well within the 'stock' height and also for 'lifted' explorers. The Rancho or edelbrock shocks are great if the application you use it on is stock, but if you have a tt/shackles setup then the shocks are working out of their effective range of motion.

Thanks for the replies :p . So do the OME shocks travel further than the others like rancho 5000 and 9000 even if you don't have the torsion twist with shackles? For example... You have an explorer with a 5.5" Superlift with the Rancho 5000 shocks and you have a different explorer with the OME shocks. Will the one with the OME shocks travel further than the one with the Rancho 5000 shocks?

What about for stock height.

Would the OME shocks work well on a factory ride height? I haven't lowered or lifted. I have the Edelbrocks right now. Are the OME's that much better?

Originally posted by biggs85
Thanks for the replies :p . So do the OME shocks travel further than the others like rancho 5000 and 9000 even if you don't have the torsion twist with shackles? For example... You have an explorer with a 5.5" Superlift with the Rancho 5000 shocks and you have a different explorer with the OME shocks. Will the one with the OME shocks travel further than the one with the Rancho 5000 shocks?

As far as I know, the travel wouldn't be any different than any other shock, but inside the shock is where the difference comes into play. Take a Rancho 5000 shock and install it on a stock explorer. The piston inside the shock is in the exact location that Rancho manufactured it to work in...then during driving the piston goes up and down a couple of inches and it's well within it's working range. Ok, do the same thing with the OME shock and you get the same results. Here is the key to the OME shock...put them on a lifted explorer and you have now extended the piston out of the shock body the amount of the lift you have (while stopped.) This distance varies even more when you drive and the piston is moving up and down. The design of the OME shock considers the lift and give you a better performing shock range for the piston. Dead Link Removed

That's my little 10 second demonstration.

Next question...as far as a stock explorer, then go with a Rancho, Gabriel, Edelbrock, etc. I wouldn't think that the OME price is worth it for a stock height explorer. But, if you have money to burn and want the best of everything, then go with the OME. Myself, if my '97 was going to stay stock, then I'd go with rancho's and some new performance sway bars, which would be about the same cost as 4 OME shocks.

Just for reference, my '97 explorer takes an OME # NG16 ($143.47 each) up front and an OME # NG17 ($84.94 each) in the rear.

You can get the OME for better than $143. 4wheelparts.com told me 69 for n16, and N17. i think they might have messed up thought.

Back