Old Mattress Syndrome | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Old Mattress Syndrome

Explorer75

Reaction score
City, State
FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
My rear springs sound like an Old Mattress, squeak a lot. I´ve tried 3 different kind of lube, it goes away for a day or 2, then comes back. Any ideas???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rear springs sound like an Old Mattress, squeak a lot. I´ve tried 3 different kind of lube, it goes away for a day or 2, then comes back. Any ideas???

You could have the spring packs rebuilt with new isolators and bushings.

The sound you describe is often emmited by worn ball joints. ( rear IFS components) Coil springs themselves operate totally silent.

The sound you describe is often emmited by worn ball joints. ( rear IFS components) Coil springs themselves operate totally silent.

I didn't even look to see which forum this thread was in. Good call Jon:thumbsup:

I didn't even look to see which forum this thread was in. Good call Jon:thumbsup:
The title lured me in, I thought this was going to be a backache thread-:)

Here are the rear suspension components, I believe this explorer doesn´t have rear ball joints, maybe the are called differently?
By the way, I replaced the upper and lower spring insulators about a year and a half ago...
Rear Suspension Components.png

Finally found the culprit, mount bushing (camera like) in the rear upper control arm. 2 Years ago I had to replace some bushings in the rear knuckle, Ford only sells the complete knuckle, so I purchased Moog. The ones in the knuckle are still good but both rear mount bushings (as pictured) were like this. I replaced them with OEM Motorcraft, they cost the same as the Moog. Suspension is quiet now.

20211108_144040.jpg

Back