Old news\trouble from new guy....NEED HELP Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Old news\trouble from new guy....NEED HELP Please

Wayne Waldrep

Reaction score
Hey guys. I have to apologize for jumping on a forum and posting without a hello. I'm on serveal forums and know the drill. This is a somewhat urgent need. I'm trying to help my mother with her 2002 Explorer that has the dreaded flashing of lights, doors unlock and lock at various times, etc, etc. I've already fixed one crusty wire in the drivers door that goes thru the boot. I have read most every thread on here about all that stuff. I've done the WD40 thing and replaced door ajar sensors on the doors. Just for now I would like to stop the very loud dinging or whatever it is that goes off intermittently during these times. My mother is late 60's and is begging me to just stop that loud noise until I can find that OTHER wire that is apparently broken or shorting. I'm reaching out to you guys on here and I hope to get some help. I do NOT have internet access at home (sux!!!) so maybe someone can tell me with this while I'm at an office for a few hours today. Im sure someone has snipped or unplugged whatever wire it is that activates the loud sound. Could someone help? I would appreciate it more than you can possibly imagine. She even told me that it is bothering her so much that all she wants for mothers day from me is to fix her vehicle...lol. Thanks, Wayne

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

While I'm waiting...and I see people looking at this thread so thanks for reading!... I looked at several other sites such as "fixya.com" , "justanswer.com" , "carcomplaints.com".....anyway, every thread goes like this...person says they just want to disable the loud alarm buzzer noise and NOT fool with other stuff at the moment for their own various reason...seems legit. They just want a location and there has to be one because its on a wiring diagram somewhere so wires are running to it. EVERY single response goes off into the WD40, check your door ajar sensors/switches, and every other conceivable thing that IS NOT remotely what the person asked. I've read about a lot of problems in various vehicles but I have to admit i have never once seen a single topic that just isn't answered across the spectrum of help sites and forums. I found two on here that a very helpful board member just pasted a general answer (just like I mentioned above) and no one ever answered the question in either thread. I can't speak for the other sites i mentioned but you guys on here seem knowledgeable about these explorers. SURELY someone has found this buzzer...my goodness!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Sounds like you still have a broken wire in the boot. I will try to send some more info tonight when I get home!

I have the shop manuals and wiring diagrams and can forward upon request.

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Sounds like you still have a broken wire in the boot. I will try to send some more info tonight when I get home!

I have the shop manuals and wiring diagrams and can forward upon request.

Wooohooo....thank you sir. Now dont let me discourage any others from posting. I'll take all the help I can get.

BR....here is my email addy if you don't mind sending the info to it since I have no internet at home. Email is doable on my phone if I hang in a large tree....upside down...at night...naked...:eek:..anyway but looking at a forum not so good.

I do appreciate it.

Wayne islandfvr@gmail dot com

PS...its 1:00pm central time and I am now leaving civilization so that email is good for anyone that would like to help. :D

Sorry, haven't had a chance to gather the info. Should be able to get to it Saturday.

I had a similar sitution a few years back when I had inadvertently unlocked the rear window hatch from the key fob. Every so often especially over a bump the alarms and solonoids would operate driving me nuts. Couldnt tell the hatch was ajar and only found it by luck.

I should be able to send some wiring diagrams today!!

Here is what I usually post for suspected broken wire issues / suspected door ajar switch issues:

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could also be related to the door ajar switch.

Here is a great thread for checking/replacing the door ajar switch, thanks to borland for the awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=249253

That is a great write up.

On a side note, before going through a complete replacement of the switch, you can spray WD40 into the door latch opening on each door, as these become stuck sometimes....and this can alleviate the issue.

This worked for me, after going for more than a year of the "door ajar" light coming on occasionally...mainly after a car wash, high humidity, or rain....making me unable to lock/arm the vehicle from the door keypad and keeping the dome lights on. Worth a try....it worked for me :thumbsup:

I have sent email with wiring diagrams. :):thumbsup:

Email got bounced back. Tough to decipher your email code. :dunno:

EDIT: I think I figured it out. :scratch:

Check your email. :thumbsup:

Back