Old Toyo Koygo 5 speed in an explorer? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Old Toyo Koygo 5 speed in an explorer?

newstylecustoms

Reaction score
City, State
Clayton, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
199 Explorer Sport
I am sure that this tranny is probably too weak to be used in an Explorer but I thought I would ask anyway. I have an old Toyo Koygo 5 speed from an 80s Ranger. Since it was made for a 2.9 I am guessing it won't be able to hold up to a 4.0 SOHC or the 4800 lbs Explorer but it would be an almost free swap so I thought I would ask.

Opinions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Even the 4.0 OHV is too powerful for it. Not worth the time.

Even the 4.0 OHV is too powerful for it. Not worth the time.

I assumed so, thought I would ask since free is a price that I can handle.

Was the Toyo Koygo changed significantly when the Ranger went from the 2.9 to 4.0?

It may have been overbuilt for the 2.9, seeing how the M5OD in the 4.0 OHV was also used with the SOHC (with some minor changes IIRC) and also the I6 in the F-150. Not sure how different the internals are between these.

My point is that your Toyo Kogyo may have been also used in some heavier vehicles, might be work checking. BTW, A normal 4-door Explorer is only around 3900 lbs.

The only trans behind the 4.0 was the M50D. It was never behind anything more powerful than the 2.9.

The toyo was also shorter that the m5od, the FM146 from the rangers and b2's was the right length, but also wasnt as strong. I had an FM146 in my 97 OHV, and it handled the engine fine until the master cylinder went out.

Back