• Register Today It's free!

old wires new sub

5dollaftlong

Reaction score
City, State
sacramento california
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 xlt
i recently bought a 12' mtx jackhammer with a mtx thunder amp. to go with it i also got 4 sony xplode speakers because when i started driving my truck they were all blown.i got the speakers in fine with light to no problems but now im stumpt on the sub. i want to get rid of the stock jbl but also use the old wiring and power cable for my new sub and amp.
Can that work? and if so how do i open the panel to see the old sub and after i do that is it just gunna be a gaping hole when im all done.
any an all help would be much apreciated thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have to take off the entire passenger side cargo area wall to access everything. The stock power wire is not going to be move enough power for your new amp.

I'm not 100% sure what your asking, but you need to run a separate power wire when running an amp like that. Is it like a 300w-400w amp? If so, you'd need to run at at least an 8 gauge fused power wire and ground, as well as RCA's or use a LOC.

I'm not 100% sure what your asking, but you need to run a separate power wire when running an amp like that. Is it like a 300w-400w amp? If so, you'd need to run at at least an 8 gauge fused power wire and ground, as well as RCA's or use a LOC.

i wanted to try and save time cause i dont know how to really do all this and my brother in law is showing me but i wanted to try and use the original power supply wire to power this new amp and sub but i figured that it wouldnt work. now what are those RCA's and LOC you are talking about?

i wanted to try and save time cause i dont know how to really do all this and my brother in law is showing me but i wanted to try and use the original power supply wire to power this new amp and sub but i figured that it wouldnt work. now what are those RCA's and LOC you are talking about?

RCA's are what carries the signal for your amp. In short an amp "amplifies" this signal, which is then used to move your speakers. A LOC is a line out converter. This is to be used if you do not have a pre-outs on an aftermarket head unit. The rca's connect to the head unit, and carry that signal to the amp. A LOC takes the signal from your speaker wire and converts it into a signal that your amplifier can use.

RCA's are what carries the signal for your amp. In short an amp "amplifies" this signal, which is then used to move your speakers. A LOC is a line out converter. This is to be used if you do not have a pre-outs on an aftermarket head unit. The rca's connect to the head unit, and carry that signal to the amp. A LOC takes the signal from your speaker wire and converts it into a signal that your amplifier can use.

ohh okay right on thanks. ill put pics up of it when i start next weekend

Back