olive drab paint? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

olive drab paint?

i've been lookin at doing a two tone paint scheme to give my ex a rugged look by doing olive drab green (found it for 15 bucks a gallon at the surplus store) and some flat black for the bottom of the two tone. it'd be seperated by a white pinstriped tribal design.

i'm replacing my body panels that are dented or dinged with some that are straight. all my door jams will be flat black also.

my questions are...
what does it take to prep a vehicle for this? just a scuff and shoot? or do i need to do extensive body work?

to paint it, do i need hardener or acetone?

should i be able to paint it outdoors if i wet the ground and have ventilation?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

oh and about how much flat black will i need to go between upper and lower bodylines? i have bedliner from the lower line down

A LOT of questions.

You say you are replacing some body pannels?
Which ones?

If you are going for a flat olive drab, almost like military camoflage than a scuff and shoot will be fine. If you are going for a smooth straight show finnish than you have a boat load of work ahead of you.

Paining it out doors is bad for so many reasons.

That scheme will look great. It's the colors I have in mind if I get some major body damage in the future.

i may be replacing the whole body. i've thought about doing a 93+ front clip on it and makin it look good that way

otherwards i'm replacing all 4 doors, hatch, and all the glass out of a wrecked 93 i now own.

will a latex paint work on auto bodies?

bump

using this will it work.

http://www.rickwrench.com/50dollarpaint.html

its a enamel latex i think.
That Rustoleum is the same one my brother used to paint his Samurai. It was just rolled on.

attachment.php

attachment.php

My old van was also painted with the same brand except through a gun:
van_lgreen_02.jpg

van_lgreen_03.jpg

If you're going to gun, do a practice spray first (on a piece of plastic or something) cauz this paint will need lots of thinning and playing around with the pressure until it sprays properly.

Thread Hijack time

OK Iz how many coats did you brother put on the Sammy? and did he follow the above mentioned link with all of the wet sanding and additional coats?

interested but i dunno if i have a week to spare wet sanding and applying 7 or more coats here. especially considering i am doing a van here.:confused:

OK Iz how many coats did you brother put on the Sammy? and did he follow the above mentioned link with all of the wet sanding and additional coats?
I think he said something like 4 coats. He did not do any sanding because its an off-road vehicle, so it was just rolled on one after another with no prep between application.

heres the paint i would of used
5c77d96026c8b138cee3b031c27dda6c.image.158x180.gif

You can mix your own colors with the Rustolem -- thats how I got the minty green on the old van (white base with green and then a bit of yellow).

If you want a "satin" or "flat" look, run it over with a palm sander with maybe a 1000 grit ;)

so this latex would work?

I used an enamel system from a ranch supply store. They have green, brown, tan and black. $10/qt. 2 qts gave 3 good coats on the Ranger. Scuffed the old paint to remove oxidation and crud. And to smooth the fiberglass...
HogPaint001.jpg

HogShow004.jpg

thats the exact finish i'm lookin for... what'd the paint can look like? (oh and for more flex from your front end, disconnect your front sway bar and rear sway bar)

The JP Mobile was also done with Rusoleum;)

main.php

No rear swaybar, front swaybar will have disconnects when we drop the D30 under the Ranger. I do not remember the brand name, but imagine any Ranch/Farm supply store has the paint. If they carrt equipment paint they should have Camo too.

bump. how much paint will it take to cover the explorer?

go to a local paint supply place, or automotive finishes place and ask them. they are prob not going to be able to tell you exactly esp if you arent thinning it out or anything. i would error on the side of at least a gallon. but it really just depends on how many coats you use.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine was Krylon rattlecans... if i was to do it again id roll it with rustoleum, seems to hold up better for most... my window trim is rustoleum and thats doin fine

IMG_3671.jpg

Back