? om a throttle body | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

? om a throttle body

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Greg McCool said:
I have a 99 5.0 with some mods. I want to get a bigger throttle body. Know any good ones?

BBK makes a good one for the 5.0. A TB is good and all, but you might want to think about investing your money in other performance mods that will get you more bang for you buck.

Intake
Exhaust
Tune
Shift kit
Cam + RRs

Then the TB. Just my take on it. The stock-ish Explorer 5.0 engines just dont flow enough air to need a really big TB right away. It is best if you use your money more affectively elsewhere first. If you already have all or 95% of those above mods then rock on and disregard what I said.

Greg,

Nevermind my last post, I just saw your modlist in another thread... You need a bigger TB ;) .

Make a modlist in your signature line so everyone else can see what you got too.

BBK is fair - I actually have one I could setup for you to fit the explorer for a reasonable price. I swapped it out to an Accufab, since the BBK had a whistle to it. From what I read, not too un-common with BBK. The Accufab is top notch, but comes with a significant price! The BBK is 75mm.

To use on explorer V8, you need to modify the throttle arm on the throttle body, to convert from mustang pull back to explorer pull forward. What I did was cut the ball stud and arm off an explorer throttle body and weld in place on the BBK. When I converted to Accufab, I cut it off the BBK and welded back on Accufab. So - to use on your explorer, I would need your throttle body or any other ford TB, so I could use the ball stud - or I could cut up the arm on the BBK and weld in right place.

Long winded and probably confusing to some degree. Let me know if interested.

do you think 75mm is going to big enuff for what i have?

Greg McCool said:
do you think 75mm is going to big enuff for what i have?

A 75mm TB will be big enough for what power your running now. I am guessing around 340 ish RWHP. Just taking a shot guessing at about 9 psi boost and with your modded heads.

Accufab is some top notch stuff but yes it does come at a price! I won't even mention how much my Big Oval TB costs! :eek:

man you are good!!!!I have like 338rwhp but at 5psi. I want to go up to a 10 psi but first a new TB,FPR,and a new fule pump.With all of that and a new set of 410 gears all the way around I will be good for a while. So will a 75mm be big eunff foe every thing I going to do?

Greg McCool said:
man you are good!!!!I have like 338rwhp but at 5psi. I want to go up to a 10 psi but first a new TB,FPR,and a new fule pump.With all of that and a new set of 410 gears all the way around I will be good for a while. So will a 75mm be big eunff foe every thing I going to do?

Is that 5 psi what your pullied for or what your boost guage is reading?

The 75mm TB will be fine for the level of power you will be putting out.

Im gettin a max of 5 psi as of right now

75 is plenty. I only upgraded to the 90mm for mine as I found a good deal and thought I woul give it a shot. If you go too big, the throttle will become twitchy, as it is hard to meter small amounts of air for daily driving.

I have seen 75mm TBs on high horsepower (500+ RWHP) supercharged 351Ws.

what is the OEM size on a 99 5.0?

65mm

you got pm

Back