OME before and after | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OME before and after

Here's a couple of pictures from before I installed the OME springs: (lost photos)

I already had the BFG tires, and had a mild shackle lift in the back, but after doing Moab, even those didn't even things out any more.

Here's a couple of pics after I installed the OME springs. Note the increased clearance between the tires and wheelwells:

My gain in height is about 2" in the back and just over 1" in the front. The rear sits slightly higher than the front now, which I like. On a 4-door which weighs a bit more, things would probably be even.

The variance in color is due to the use of different film for the two sets of pictures.

[Edited by Tom Wilk on 07-18-2000 at 05:27 PM]

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't want to frustrate you, Tom, but I don't get any pictures :( just ugly white squares with a not less ugly red X ...

Forget everything I just wrote, I see them, nice and clear. Looks good :D

Try again, I forgot the link stuff. :)

Michael-sometimes you just have to hit REFRESH/RESTART to see the pics, then it'll load, I don't know why but it works for me. :)

Thanks, I'm freshly started :D

That is how they should look from the factory!

That looks great Tom! Too bad they didn't come like that from Ford.

It looks just like mine, except one year newer, and alot bigger :D I hope to one day get a lift....

Paul is right, that is how they should look right out of the factory.

Hey Tom,
Looks good! :D Those OME's definetly do the job
Now all you need is a winch and the Ramsey Serria wraparound winch mount. :)

sweeeet!

Looks great! What size bfg's are those?

He's wearing 265/75r16's.

The great thing is that people have actually noticed. I pulled up in the gas station the other day and went in to pay. The two guys working there were noting that it looked higher than other Explorers.

Then, the guy at the parts store asked me how much lift I had.

I only wish that the pictures were more similar to one another. It's a bit hard to see the different clearances in the front. I'm still gloating a bit, so don't mind me....

Tom,
I understand how it is, Last week I was at a gas station and the guy on the other side of the pump noticed the BFG 265/75r16's I have on it, he said that they fit on the truck Very Nicely. Of course I said thanks, and informed him that they are larger then what is supposed to be able to fit on the Explorer's, and informed him of the small plastic piece that we all have had to cut so that we don't have any rubbing. Dead Link Removed

Tom:, did you gain a full 2" with the 265/75/16's ,inother words,3 1/2 - 4" of total lift tires/ome-twist,I have a buddy at work that may take my bfg 255/70/16's,so I can get the same ones you guy's have. :)
I am just wondering what a good/fair price is on the 265/75/16's, bfg T/A ko I was quoted $160. each,mounting /bal included.what did you guy's pay ???
thanks,

I paid roughly 147 per tire for the tire, mounting, and balancing. 137 per tire w/out labor is the average price out there so 160 is pretty high.

wo just called sams and they had only 2 in stock :( but at only $109.:) but it would take at least 15 days to get them :(.
how can there be such a price difference on this tire,???I thought this was a set price item.
this is driving me crazy,the guy that wants to buy my 255's needs tires soon,

William, first about the springs. The OME's gave me a good 2" of lift in the rear by themselves. I have the front raised about 1-1/2" by twisting the torsion bars. The tires gave me 1" of increased height as well, going from a 30" to a 32" tire. So the total increase from chassis to ground is 2-1/2 to 3" depending on which axle.

As far as price, BFG controls the tire price. I doubt if you'll see anything lower than $140 per tire for the 265/75-R16's and nearly all dealers will be close to the same on that. As far as mounting and balancing, each dealer sets their own price there. Shop around, I had a local Kelly tire dealer that would mount and balance for free, but he only sold Kelly tires.

I paid $155 per tire including mounting and balancing at NTB, but it appears from the ads in Four Wheeler magazine that the price of the tires has risin a few dollars since then. $160 is acceptable, but you can do better. On the other hand, I can get mine balanced and rotated free for...well, for I don't know how long, but they did it once already after I lost a wheel weight in New Jersey.

Make sure they're KO's

William, make sure that Sam's is selling you the AT-KO tires; at that price, they may be the old models. Not that that is the end of the world; in fact it may be worthwhile to save a good number of bucks. :)

ok, i am confuse. the OME springs are jsut put on the stock explorer? that way it lifts up the truck? so we dont have to do any twuisting of bars and stuff? if that is the case, that is too cool. all i need to get is 4 OME springs and new shocks and i can get a little lift and fits bigger tires? i ama newbie, so all this are new. bare with me.

William,
I got my BFG 265 75 R16's from NTB, and the Grand total for all 4 tires, lifetime rotation, lifetime flat repair was $699.97. that was a month ago.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

you will still need to even out the front

swak6287, you will still need to level the truck once you do the ome (rear leaf-spring repacement)by either twisting the adjusters of the torsion bars.I replaced the bars with the stiffer b-code due to the fact I have a full manik bar on the front,as well as a custom 4 tube rod holder bolted to the holes on that,found that my bilsteins are working much better, truck rides fantastic,the bars were $48. each. rear springs were $200. each,4 new rear spring bushing's were $80.
all I can say is what a huge improvement,

Back