Paul Gagnon

Poseur SUV
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Sherwood Park, Alberta eh?
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I finally got my srpings today. So much for having them in a week. I am beginning to think that it takes 3 1/2 weeks for everything to arrive in Calgary. Anyway I am extremely impressed with the springs!!! They look fantastic and are extremely well built. It is a well thought out design. On the other hand I am very disapointed that there are no bushings in these springs. You would think that for the price of them they could include bushings. I ended up getting brand new bushings pressed in at a local spring shop. They were approx $8 each retail so I really don't understand why OME can't put them in, they would be dirt cheap in bulk quantities.

I started to install the springs and after a very long argument with the front bolt I started to remove the rear bolt. Of course something had to get in the way and it was the trailer hitch. I am going to have to get someone to help me or remove the trailer hitch. Any volunteers? :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Don't worry I'm having about the same problem with my bolts on the springs trying to install a set of shackles. The truck is seven years old and it looks like the rear springs have never been touched. These bolts are starting to become a pain in the butt. I was able to get one side off with the use of a hammer and a wrench. Just watch your hands. :)

The problem I ran into with the trailer hitch is that it hangs down right in the exact spot where I need to push the rear bolt out. I can pry on the shackle enough to get the bolt clear but I can't do that and turn the wrench at the same time.

Paul,

Where did you purchase your springs and how much were they? The lowest I have found them for is $199 each at Petersons offroad.

Alan
98 Xplorer

Paul,
Those aren't Ford OEM spring bushings, are they? When I bought mine, it costed me $78.00 for 2 fronts and 2 backs.

Ray they are not OEM Ford bushings but they are probably made in the same place. The ones that I bought are Clevite brand. A well respected name. I think the fronts were 9$ and the rears were $7 total was $34 and some change for all four including tax. In Canadian dollars. See some stuff is cheaper up here. :)

hey paul, how do the eyelets look on those springs? do they start from the middle, then wrap around, or do they start at the bottom? im wondering, because supposedly the revolver shackles won't work with our current springs....maybe they will work with these......thanx!!

scott

Riff,
They start from the bottom

WHO HOO!!!!! Dead Link Removed

in case you were wondering, i have loaded all the smile to some of my webspace. they are their old names with this directory...you cant see em there, but you can use em with the names)

Mission Accomplished.... sorta... lol

I finally got the new springs installed but the truck is higher on the passenger's side by one full inch. Did any of you guys have this problem? I'll have to figure it out tomorrow I guess.

Also I now have to get my drive shaft lengthened. LOL... oh well, I kinda figured that I would have to do it anyway. It was kinda funny because I had my neighbour over to watch and see if I could get out the garage door (doubtfull... LOL) and when I went to back out of my garage and there was this clang clang clang noise. My drive shaft fell apart!!! Heeheehee... ooops!!!

Hey all,

I have ordered the OME springs, bushings and B Bars for the Torsion Bar lift. I also have been spraying everything with penetrating oil getting it ready. Now that I am almost ready to do the lift Paul Gagnon has raised a question What must be done to the front and rear drive shafts to compensate for the 2"s of lift? What did everyone do?

Your responses are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alan
98 Xplorer

Sorry I had to correct the spelling of my last name - Paul

[Edited by Paul Gagnon on 09-15-2000 at 11:16 AM]

Alan, for the 2" lift, you shouldn't need to do anything with the driveshafts. Paul has considerably more lift than that, and I think he has converted to spring-over (correct me if I'm wrong). I've had absolutely no problems with mine.

Tom,
Thanks for clearing that up. Dont I feel real crunchy.

Alan
98 Xplorer

just a bit more than 2" lift

but not by much... LOL

I am sitting at what seems to be between 8" and 9" now in the rear. The real problem is going to be getting out the garage door. I didn't have any drivehsaft problems with 6" you will have no troubles with a 2" lift in the rear. I had no problems with a 2" lift on my old '98. You may want to measure your shock lengths though.

[Edited by Paul Gagnon on 09-15-2000 at 11:24 AM]

Paul why would getting out of the garage be a problem? :) You purchased that swazall right? LOL

CHOP THE TOP! :)

Do you mean the top of the Explorer or the top of the garage?? or is both needed in this case:)

Once again.....the swazall is my friend

Sawzall!

Yeah I did buy the Sawzall yesterday. I had to cut the head of the last bolt and without a torch there would be no other way. I'm not quite ready to cut the top off yet. I need to wait until (note: I didn't say if) I roll it before I do that. I am probably going to make my garage door opening around 6" larger. That should allow me to get in and out on 36" tires. :) But not just yet for the tires probably next year.

I got my rear driveshaft back yesterday and also found that I have 1/16th of an inch clearance with the roof rack on. I am glad that it clears because I think my truck would look goofy witout a roof rack.

Today I took it for a drive. First impressions are that the new springs (front and rear) are much smoother. There was none of the telltale jumping around at railroad crossings. I am about to install my new shocks after I eat supper and then I am going to do some checking on my "ramp" down the street.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to know that you can still fit into the garage. 1/16" is pretty tight.

I noticed that the OME's were "smoother" than the stock springs as well. I encountered the same improvement when going over large bumps; they don't launch the vehicle. :)

Back