OME springs and Warrior shackles, question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OME springs and Warrior shackles, question

bigtigexplorer

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Sierra Vista, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4x4
I need to lift the rear of my 99 Xlt 4x4 about 4". I was thinking a set of warrior shackles and possibily OME leafs. So I've got some questions:

1. Can somebody tell me will this work.
2. Were can I get a pair of the 2" lift OME springs
3. How much?

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It would work, but do ya want 4in of lift in the rear, and 2in of crap ride in the front?
Pete

I'm guessing 4" in the rear will actualy level out my X. Measuring from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender I've got 6" up front and only 2.5" in the back. My main goal is to level everything out, so it doesn't look like I'm constantly going up hill.

The front wheel well is cut deeper in than the rear. That is the differance you are seeing. Check from the ground to just in front of the rear wheel well and just behind the front wheel well where it will be closer to level and see what you come up with.

That’s a good point, I'll measure when I get home. It may be any illusion caused my the fenders but it is a really ugly one that I desperately want to fix, any ideas?

Originally posted by bigtigexplorer
Measuring from the top of the tire to the bottom of the fender I've got 6" up front and only 2.5" in the back.

I've got 1.25" lift in front and 2.5" in the rear plus 3" body lift and I've got 6" tire-to-fender all around. So it would seem to me that you've got some major sag in the rear. If you went with 2" lifted springs and shackles I think you'd probably over-compensate. Remember that your stock leaves are probably not giving as much lift as they used to, and that therefor a new set of 'normal' leaf springs would give you some lift.

I've got a 1.25-1.75" TT up front and nothing in the rear yet. I wanted to get some input on the best course of action for the rear before I commited any $$$ to it. So what would you guys recommend, did I mention I've also got around 100 lbs of stereo in the rear.

Jefe
So you have more lift in the rear than in the front, meaning it didn't go up evenly from stock. Right?

I've got a 1.25-1.75" TT up front and nothing in the rear yet.
Oh, that makes the numbers sound better. . .but why'd you lift the front without lifting the rear??? :confused:

Originally posted by offroadkc
Jefe
So you have more lift in the rear than in the front, meaning it didn't go up evenly from stock. Right?
Well I origionall had 1.75" of lift up front but didn't like the 1.5" of downtravel (or lack thereof) I had. I droped it down a half inch (along with extending front shocks), and it just happened that it's now even, tire-to-fender front and rear, and looks good (to me at least).

That’s a good point, I'll measure when I get home. It may be any illusion caused my the fenders but it is a really ugly one that I desperately want to fix, any ideas?

OME stands for Old Man Emu right? They have great products but it's a little pricey.
What about a set of Skyjacker 4" leafs?

I plan on lifting, the rear my concern is that if I just get the warrior shackles, that it won't lift the rear enough to make things even. So like I said before, I wanted to get some input before I commited the $$$ to lifting the rear.

I just need to figure out what it will take to get the results I want, which is for the tire-to-fender distance to be equal all the way around, kind of like yours is. So how do I do it???

Just add-a-leaf and shackles might be enough and it would be cheap...

How much lift would the shackles and add-a-leaf combination provide. Where is the best place to buy at and how much?

How much lift? About 3.5"

How much money? 15$ to 50$ for the shackles (Autozone or Warrior) and for the add a leaf I don't know but I would guess around 50 to 75$.

Where? Desert Rat for the shackles and James Duff or Skyjacker for the add a leaf.

dbarale, Thank you, thats exactly the info I've been looking for.

Before you buy anything new don't forget to post in the "wanted" section to see if anybody has some of the stuff you need laying around....

Back