omg...my tranny is slipping...what do i do? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

omg...my tranny is slipping...what do i do?

baehan

Reaction score
City, State
Tempe, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4WD
it's been doing it for a while, but i was hopeing that i was just a fluke. well, the past few months, after i pull out of my driveway and put the truck in Drive, it'll take a while for it to kick in. i step on gas, but it acts like it's in Neutral. last week was the worst. i have to stomp on the gas real quick and let go a few times before it engages. once it engages...it makes a loud clunk in the rear if i'm on the gas. otherwise, it'll make a little knock sound and then go. from what i understand, my generation (92 xlt 4x4 auto) had tranny issues. the previous owner had replaced the tranny at around 80k. i've had the truck and have driven it to 150k. am i going to have to get a new tranny? is there a fix to this problem? i'm going to change the tranny fluid when i get a chance. maybe i'll throw some of that cleaning liquid in before i change the fluid to loosen up whatever gunk is in there. please help...thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

dont freak out about it. Tranny rebuilds arent that bad and 1 more will probably last the rest of the trucks life.

As for changing the fluid- id hold on with that and just bring it somewhere and have it looked at. Ive heard that changing fluid sometimes makes the problems even worse because its easier to slip with fresh lube in there.

The first thing you should do is check to make sure you have enough fluid in there...

Drop the pan, and check the valve body bolts for tightness. While you are there replace the filter, and make sure it is installed correctly. IF the valve body bolts are are tight, drop the low/reverse servo cover and replace the seal on the servo and reinstall it. For photos and details see "My A4LD Rebuild Diary - part 1. It's not a tough job and MAY just solve your problem.

what does a rebuild cost and what kind of work is involved? not me...i am not mechanically inclined enough to do this myself. i'm going to have to pay to get this done.

Yeah, my tranny was slipping in 3-OD, only hapened after i changed the fluid. Seems to be better now.

probably going to cost 1500 or so. ubnless you can pull the tranny

Try it in Drive, not OD, and see if it works differetly. If it still won't move try manual 1.

i cannot get into any other drive gear except D4. a long while ago, i had my mechanic install a Fram Sure Drain into the center of the pan and a magnetic plug into the driver-rear corner of the pan (only two place that he said it would fit). since then, i cannot get into any other Drive gear except D4.

Back