On-going Issues - I may dump this ride. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On-going Issues - I may dump this ride.

CR2184

Reaction score
City, State
Captiola, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello All,

New here so I apologize if this has already been discussed at length, but I was unable to find a feed relating to these issues.

A little background:
I took delivery of my sport sometime around Oct/Nov 2012. After taking delivery, I found that during production, the top frame on the right rear passenger door was noticeably bent (prior to paint application) but the vehicle shipped with it anyway. The A-pillars had either chemical stains or paint defects which required both of them to be replaced. The microphone on Sync crapped out about a month after taking delivery. Then in the summer of 2013, the grill on my sport literally melted and became disfigured in the heat in addition to letters in the "Explorer" badge on the hood peel off (northern California, not death valley). The glovebox started squeaking and they put a couple of cheap and visually disgusting pieces of foam around the contacts as a fix (that problem has also returned).

Now more recently I have had the thing into the dealer on three separate occasions for a rattle coming from the right rear passenger seat/headrest. This last time they assured me they replaced the entire seat mechanism, but low and behold and month later, the problem has returned. Upon inspection of the seat, I found a zip tie around part of the assembly as if that was supposed to be some kind of fix. Has anybody had this same problem? What was the ultimate fix?

Another problem I have had the rig in for at least twice now, this next time will be the third - wind noise at the driver side A-pillar. This last time they related they placed some foam somewhere in the vicinity to resolve the issue (no idea where), but again, about a month later I'm cruising along at freeway speeds with a decent headwind and that sound pops up again. Has anybody had this issue and found a fix?

Would greatly appreciate some feedback. I'm starting to feel like the build quality on this vehicle is absolute trash and that I should dump this thing as soon as possible for an X5. I don't have confidence that the $50K I dropped on this thing is going to get me seven to ten years down the road like I hoped. It's been very disappointing as I come from a Ford family and have owned Fords my whole life. Anybody heading down this same road?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noo , don't Dump her please . She loves you , sorry but if I would you I wouldn't accept the car from the dealer and I would force them to change affected parts and give me a perfect vehicle .check if the warranty covered problems. or sue their A**es if they don't replace your S**t ,

in My experionce I forved the Bast***s to change a door after they faild to allign one of them (because when I take the car to auto car wash the water comes in the car through the closed door )

Its all mostly poor workmanship... I've gone around and fixed most of my squeaks and rattles over the course of 3 months now.. I am very an*l about rattles and squeaks and I seem to find many rushed production mistakes. I came from a 2008 BMW X5 which I had put on 105K miles and till the end never a single sqeak or rattle. That beast drove solid just like day one!. I love the new Explorers (mine is a 2012 Limited) but I wish they took more time in engineering minor details and took their time to build it rather than rush it out the door with misaligned doors and uneven trim, etc.

Thanks hambone. I am right there with ya on being an*l about squeaks and rattles. I feel like with the amount of money spent on this thing, I should not have to be going around and correcting their mistakes. With that said, me taking it to them and the problem not being fixed is one of the most frustrating things. I can't afford to be without the vehicle for amount of time it takes for them to complete the work and knowing how things work, if I try and do the work myself and damage something, I'll be left out to dry. What made you go domestic over the BMW? I know for me, it was the idea that I'm owning American (even though half the car was built in Mexico). I would have to agree that it seems like the Germans take time to engineer this issues out and it really is the little things like that which makes you feel like your owning quality.

I would have to agree that it seems like the Germans take time to engineer this issues out and it really is the little things like that which makes you feel like your owning quality.

LOL......BMW has also had their fair share of issues with many of their vehicles over the years. Must be due to over-engineering eh? LOL:bsnicker::bsnicker:

I'm not talking about "through the years" cause if we start walking that road, we could talk about the Pinto, Roll-Over-Explorer, and any number of absolute trash that Ford has churned out through the years. I'm talking about today's modern vehicles where due to the technology, materials, and manufacturing processes available, there is no excuse for this poor level of workmanship quality - period.

I'm not talking about "through the years" cause if we start walking that road, we could talk about the Pinto, Roll-Over-Explorer, and any number of absolute trash that Ford has churned out through the years. I'm talking about today's modern vehicles where due to the technology, materials, and manufacturing processes available, there is no excuse for this poor level of workmanship quality - period.

Thanks for the chuckle.....so would four hours ago be current enough for you??? Click on the attached link my friend.....just one example...I can get you more if you'd like a more detailed compilation of the fine German engineering recalls, issues etc....

http://www.thestate.com/2014/05/20/3457080/rear-door-child-lock-defect-prompts.html?sp=/99/132/

ALL manufacturers have their issues, including the Germans....don't kid yourself.

Ask the owners of any 2007-2010 BMW powered by the n54 twin turbo inline six made from 07-10 and see how they like their fuel pumps!;)

No doubt Ford could have done better with fit and finish with the Ex.

That being said, the engine/powertrain is solid and that is what will really cost you if you plan on keeping a car well after the warranty expires like I do.

What really got Ford on consumer ratings was MFT, and as far as I am personally concerned it is fine with v.3.6.2.

That being said, I have a rattle up by the sunroof that is bugging me. Tightened the bolts up by the rear sunroof but no help. However, I'll figure it out.

Perhaps I am not so upset because I bought a three year old vehicle that I did not expect to be perfect for under $28k (only 31k miles) that is loaded for a XLT.

No doubt Ford could have done better with fit and finish with the Ex.

That being said, the engine/powertrain is solid and that is what will really cost you if you plan on keeping a car well after the warranty expires like I do.

What really got Ford on consumer ratings was MFT, and as far as I am personally concerned it is fine with v.3.6.2.

That being said, I have a rattle up by the sunroof that is bugging me. Tightened the bolts up by the rear sunroof but no help. However, I'll figure it out.

Perhaps I am not so upset because I bought a three year old vehicle that I did not expect to be perfect for under $28k (only 31k miles) that is loaded for a XLT.

And that is the only reason I still have my X. If the power train were showing any indications of being as problematic as these other things, I would have dumped it by now. I have never had power train issues with any of my previous Ford vehicles, but I've never had the kind of build problems with those vehicles like I've had with the X either. I'm going to try a new dealership in an attempt to have the issues resolved, hopefully they are more competent than my previous.

If you're wanting reliability, stay away from the X5.

Yeah I hear you all.. My X5 was extremely reliable, except for its share of minor issues; water pump failing out of no warning and in the middle of the highway stranding me. Other then that - no real big issues. Now the V8's have their issues with coolant leaks, burning oil and more; Thanks for the CPO warranty that saved me from thousands in repair. But the straight 6 was flawless. Run flat tires were expensive to replace; oil changes once a year with 1 year 15k duration was nice. But as it goes over 100k, hoses will need to be replaced and tensioner, etc. that starts to get expensive. I def. miss my self levelling and side to side HID lights

I love the Explorer; apart from the poor workmanship; parts are cheap in most cases. Easy to work on and yes its American made; mostly as we all say. I do believe that for 50K for a Sport; I would spend that on either an Audi or X5 new with full 5 year 50K warranty. I read too many quirky complaints from users here on the Explorer Sports; no HID, no auto park.... come on Ford; for 50K those options are piece of cake compared to the competitors....

Yeah I hear you all.. My X5 was extremely reliable, except for its share of minor issues; water pump failing out of no warning and in the middle of the highway stranding me. Other then that - no real big issues. Now the V8's have their issues with coolant leaks, burning oil and more; Thanks for the CPO warranty that saved me from thousands in repair. But the straight 6 was flawless. Run flat tires were expensive to replace; oil changes once a year with 1 year 15k duration was nice. But as it goes over 100k, hoses will need to be replaced and tensioner, etc. that starts to get expensive. I def. miss my self levelling and side to side HID lights

I love the Explorer; apart from the poor workmanship; parts are cheap in most cases. Easy to work on and yes its American made; mostly as we all say. I do believe that for 50K for a Sport; I would spend that on either an Audi or X5 new with full 5 year 50K warranty. I read too many quirky complaints from users here on the Explorer Sports; no HID, no auto park.... come on Ford; for 50K those options are piece of cake compared to the competitors....

I'm happy to have halogens on my Ex. My Saab has self-leveling and self-cornering bi-xenons. Yes, they light up the road better and look cool, but the cheap knock-off replacement bulbs (which work great) were still $150 for the pair when the OEM went.

Now, I have had no probs with the xenons on my Saab, but I am reading on the Saab forums of ballasts going, the leveling mechanism going and the lights pointing down, high beam shutter not working.

Xenons are great, but they also have expensive parts. At least with the Ex they are not self-leveling and self-cornering (I don't think). I see little benefit compared to the possible headache off-warranty.

As is, I expect to keep this Ex for a longtime, so I am fine with halogens. I can also say I have the best HID's on my Saab, but they concern me in the long run cost-wise.

I see better and more stable lighting technology already here, though.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=388152

I'm not sure if this link will work but I suspect that the wind noise that you are getting is a result of the same issue that I had. The problem was fixed with help from Ford reps on this forum.

I wont talk about the dash rattle that I have now though.

If the link doesnt work search "Howling Noise"

Back