Mutineer

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT 4X4
Callsign
FLOYD
So I finally got the SAS mostly finished and now its time to start the body mods.

So now Im on my way to the cage. :salute:

Started Chopping the body today and heres how far I got:

Any suggestions on cage building are welcome and appreciated

DRF

Attachments

• 104_2005.JPG
    104_2005.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 1,241
  • 104_2007.JPG
    104_2007.JPG
    102.7 KB · Views: 1,214
  • 104_2008.JPG
    104_2008.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 1,211
  • 104_2009.JPG
    104_2009.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,208

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

keep up good work be sure to post pics when ur all done

Does it even fit IN the garage anymore?

There was a thread on here thad dimensions, and angles for caging an Explorer.

Ryan

Does it even fit IN the garage anymore?

There was a thread on here thad dimensions, and angles for caging an Explorer.

Ryan

Sure it does, I had to put weight in the back, and after my wife and 2 kids jumped in, it cleared by like 2cm...lol

Attachments

• 104_2033.JPG
    104_2033.JPG
    93.7 KB · Views: 1,424

Sure it does, I had to put weight in the back, and after my wife and 2 kids jumped in, it cleared by like 2cm...lol

Eh...Just let more air out of the tires! :D

I got a smaller set of wheels/tires I usually put on for the garage, but I was too lazy to do the work...

Thats called Soldiering. :salute: lol

DRF

i think some sort of fastback cage like this would look good
0905_4wd_03_z+jeep_wrangler_unlimited+roll_cage.jpg

i think some sort of fastback cage like this would look good
0905_4wd_03_z+jeep_wrangler_unlimited+roll_cage.jpg

Agreed. I want to hang the radiator on the rear...like a 45 degree angle and have the fans pull up and to the rear, and I will have a reversal switch fort hem so maybe I can make them blow into the truck when its really cold...(just a brainstorm) The spare will be on the floor under it. I have a load warrior basket for the stuff up top that I want to find a way to mount where the ceiling used to be, but it may hang too low so.....not sure...

Ill try to mockup a picture of the design Im thinking of and post it, but that is real close to what I want.

Wow, my jaw actually dropped when i first saw your first picture, i didn't expect to see so much body missing. I think you should seriously think about taking the body lift out before starting the cage, especially now that there is not much body left, it would probably be easier. That thing sits REALLY high.

Yeah it sits high right now. I like the space it gives me when I need to do work on it.

Remember, this truck has NO weight on it right now...no bumpers, no doors, no cage, no spare, no gear, no seats or passgengers...

It'll sit right down on those tires when all that is added.

Think of the end product. Besides, these are full width axles, and that adds to the stability of it.

All that and a driver with some skill and she'll stay on all fours. DRF

OK there ugly but heres what Im going for... getting a cheapo tube bender for Christmas, (maybe before) then it begins.

Attachments

• Picture1.jpg
    Picture1.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 2,013
  • Picture2.jpg
    Picture2.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 2,014

Wow, my jaw actually dropped when i first saw your first picture, i didn't expect to see so much body missing. I think you should seriously think about taking the body lift out before starting the cage, especially now that there is not much body left, it would probably be easier. That thing sits REALLY high.

I am wanting to clear 40" boggers.

Is the lift REALLY that outrageous? I dont see it.. Im not going to be climbing Lion's Back with it... Just trail riding and mud bogging...

Im not rejecting advice, I just dont see the problem...

Doing anything above your head???

Yeah Ill have two sections with crossbars... Im working on that pic now...Ill try to make the lines closer to what 1 1/2 - 2" will look like...lol

I am using canvas for the cover, I have a good supplier of thick, Black Water resistant canvas. (a surplus store with lots of GP Medium tents, CHEAP.)

It'll kindof be like a bikini top on a Jeep...

If it's gonna be on 40s then i understand the height. But my personal preference is to keep it low and trim sheet metal where needed to fit the tires...obviously you aren't afraid to do that. On off camber trails it's of course more prone to rolling, and i've seen trucks hit ruts and things even in mudbogging and rollover. The weight of the body up high isn't even the problem anymore, but building a cage that high will raise the COG a lot. Ultimately it's your call though, but that's why i suggested take the body lift out.

If it's gonna be on 40s then i understand the height. But my personal preference is to keep it low and trim sheet metal where needed to fit the tires...obviously you aren't afraid to do that. On off camber trails it's of course more prone to rolling, and i've seen trucks hit ruts and things even in mudbogging and rollover. The weight of the body up high isn't even the problem anymore, but building a cage that high will raise the COG a lot. Ultimately it's your call though, but that's why i suggested take the body lift out.

Agreed. maybe I am underestimating the weight of a cage...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1 3/4 DOM is just over 2lbs/ft. If you've got 120' or so into a cage, that's 250lbs, give or take. That's a lot of weight to hang up in the air for no reason. Your call, but all you need is enough lift to clear the tires and full lock and full articulation. Anything over that serves no functional purpose.

As far as your "Cheapo Bender" goes, what are you looking at? If you get the Pipe Bender (kinker) from Harbour Freight or Princess Auto, you're gonna have to get REALLY good with it to make kink free bends. To really do it right, you need a proper tube bender, although I have seen sucess with a pipe bender but that seems few and far between. Looking forward to seeing how this goes!!!

Back