On my way to the Supercharger! | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On my way to the Supercharger!

I'm probably posting this prematurely, but I'm so excited! It turns out I just got an infusion of cash, so I might be able to afford the supercharger! I have to somehow get my parents to approve and help out a little bit, but I think its very possible I could have it done by late January. I also have to determine if I can do it myself (with a little help), or if I need to have it professionally installed. I'll also need to get a larger MAS, so that's another $300.

So has anyone heard anything lately about the BBK supercharger? I know there was a big buzz a while back, and I even called truckperformance.com to see what's up. I'm gonna give them another call and ask them if they've shipped any, and if they're actually shipping on time.

So, anyone want to sponsor the first BBK-charged Explorer on this site? Rick, you wanna help ;) j/k. I'll keep y'all posted!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yah definitely keep us posted. I don't know about you, but I am probably just as excited as you are. I have actually been pretty quite when it comes to this thread; only reason is I didn't think you would come through with making the Supercharger purchase. That’s why this would be my first post in this thread. But hey, you proved me wrong, GREAT JOB, I am jealous!!

:)

Regards,

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Preliminary Report!

Well, just had a long talk with the installer. The blower assembly is fully installed, including the new belt. He says it looks awesome! There were about $50 in parts either not included in the kit, or missing. There are tons of speed shops where the installer is, so it was just a short trip to the store. One problem I knew would come up was a lack of a fitting of the intake tube to the MAS. The old tube can be cut to make one, but he just went and bought one.

The computer was started on. The computer consists of 2 parts, the actual brain and the little controller. The brain it turns out needs to go in the engine bay to be hooked to some vacuum lines. It doesn't come with brackets (and can't really be fabbed to any), so it's going between the large engine fuse block and the driver fender. He's going to enclose it in some foam stuff and make a "custom" enclosure and mount. The little controller will be routed inside the cab.

The fuel pressure regulator instructions are a little vague on the specs and settings it needs. If we don't hear from BBK (the instacharger tech guy never came in today) he will install it as per the vague instructions and run around with a fuel pressure gauge to make sure it's not running lean. Running lean would be bad: creating excessive heat in the combustion chambers and burning parts.

That's the skinny on things. I might have some pics later tonight, so stay tuned! Hopefully it will be done tomorrow in time for me to pick it up before class.

this is so cool! so its gonna be done by tommorrow morning hopefully? about how long till we get a full write-up on the install? :) or just a short summary, man i cant wait to hear how this thing performs. hey Alec, is there anyway can arrange a uh... test drive for me, ill give ya 20 bucks plus gas :D if ya drive out to houston, j/k man, cant wait to here how this thing performs, keep us posted.

Just replyin to keep up to date....As we talked in the chat on Sunday Alec, keep me up to date! This is info I wanna keep up to date on!
Thanks
Pete

Austin, I'll be in Houston the weekend of the 2nd. Maybe we can meet up.

ohhh man! thats tight! i would give almost anything to have a first hand look at the supercharger, email me if your interested
tac0meat@yahoo.com

I would definitely like to get a first hand look at it also. Shoot me an e-mail if you have time to meet up somewhere when you're in Houston.

Some bad news, but not terrible:

There were some more setbacks with the install. My mechanic never got in touch with the guy at BBK, so he had to figure some stuff out himself and that took some time. I think everything is done right now except for the routing of some sensor wires and the ignition lines. Some of these lines are too short to be rerouted, so replacements had to be ordered. They're supposed to be in early tomorrow morning, so I should have the truck by tomorrow afternoon. However, I have to arrange a ride to go pick it up and I don't have much time between classes. Hopefully I'll be able to work it out.....

The mechanic should send me some pics tonight, so I might have some up by tomorrow. I'm also going to redo my webpage sometime this week, so a semi complete writeup should be there. My website will have a back door to get to the writeup, since my parents still don't know about the blower.....long story......even though it's my truck, in my name, paid for with my $$$, they still have reservations about me doing stuff to it. Oh well. Time for MCAT class!

Originally posted by JoeC5
Hey alec, not to burst your bubble or anything, but a supercharged 4.0 barely beats a stock v8 explorer.

sorry just know looking into doing this to my new 4.0L(when i buy it), and the v-8 will jump off the line, like 10 to 20 feet then get passed becuase of the turbo-"sweet-spot" as it's been dubbed. and i belive the 4.0L still gets better gas mileage. But as soon as i get mine done(which might bee never) i'm going to stop light race, a 98' stock all wheel drive v-8. then i'll know for sure huh.

I stoplight raced a 98? Limited a few days ago with the 5.0 V8. There was no contest. After I got over 5 lengths ahead of him, I stopped racing. It was around 45mph. But let's think about it:

Me: 260 hp/320 torque, 4000+ lbs, 3.27 rear diff
Him: 215 hp/290 torque, 4800+ lbs, 3.73 diffs.

Even though he has the better gearing for acceleration, there's no question who's going to win. Of course, I do have other speed parts besides the blower and have tuned it on the dyno. The few other people I know of that have finished the BBK blower install are getting around 180hp at the wheels to my 200. Good luck on your project if you ever do it. Feel free to ask me questions on here or by email.

Back