On the 4.6 is it possible to replace the cats as a unit without dropping the trans crossmember? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

On the 4.6 is it possible to replace the cats as a unit without dropping the trans crossmember?

MyExplorer03v8Lim

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer 4.6L
The heads were snapped off my crossmember bolts, so just yesterday I had the crossmember welded to the frame.

ON THE WAY HOME from my welder, the P0420 code came on for the fourth time in as many weeks.

I have been avoiding this cat replacement job until I can figure out exactly what's fouling them (suspect internal intake coolant leak), but since the code keeps coming back, the project is now priority 1.

I don't feel like having the welds removed so soon after doing them, so I'm wondering if it's even possible to get the cats out without dropping the crossmember. Am I crazy?

Ouch, not sure about the '04 but the chiltons for my '08 says to drop the crossmember.

I'm interested in the answer to the O.P.'s question for the 4.0 SOHC engine (I doubt there's a difference), in both 2wd and 4x4 configurations.

Back