• Register Today It's free!

One Ex down, another in the works

mustangmatt98

Reaction score
City, State
Augusta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 sport trac
I haven't posted here since I had my sport trac over 2 years ago. I'm going to try and change that in the near future. I may have put this in the wrong section as I'm going to ask about modifying at the end of this post. I'm a member on a classic Mustang specific forum so I copied this story from there:

About 2 years ago it came time to buy my sisters vehicle. I had a heavy hand in the process of getting her something dependable and safe. I talked my parents into getting my sister an Explorer. I found a few online the first 2 were already sold, so I called the third person. He told me it was always serviced by him at a local ford dealer. The previous owner would read the manual and what ever the manual said to to at the mileage that's what was done. The car had brand new tie rod ends with the Ford part stickers still on them and a recent tune up. The paint was in great shape, but the car had some high miles at nearly 200k. So there it was a 2001 Eddie Bauer Edition AWD V-8. It was nearly pristine. I was pretty jealous my first car wasn't this nice.
20130222_175457_zps4e8ea4f1.jpg

about a week ago she was driving down the interstate when someone swerved into her lane, and she lost control, It caused her to hit the center median and it flipped the car making her go back across 3 lanes. She stopped right side up and facing the wrong way. Another car was totaled and the car that caused everything didn't stop. She was lucky enough to walk away with a seat belt bruise, glass in her elbow, a lump on her head, and a cut knee. I didn't want to see the car until I saw her. I'm also glad I didn't see the car until 2 days later. I know Explorers are top heavy and prone to rolling but my parents and sister wanted an SUV. I'm glad this was what was chosen for her and not a smaller SUV.
PART_1421080095389_20150112_112407_zpsxshz5swn.jpg

PART_1421080104756_20150112_112445_zpsqiahdq5a.jpg

PART_1421080130156_20150112_112513_zpsm51o5rso.jpg

IMAG0489_zpsmhkf6ufj.jpg

I had the car towed back to my parents house, since I'm short on space at my house.

I did find her another ride yesterday. We were supposed to ride 2 hours north to get a '96 Eddie Bauer, but she stopped me just before we left and asked me to look at a '04 base Ex before we left town. Long story short the '04 turned out to be a better deal and was local. I don't have pictures of it because it was dark when we got home, but yet again I'm jealous.

Now onto my end of the bargain, the wrecked car is mine to do what I want with so long as my mom gets her $300 back for the tow and clean up fees. So I was already planning on pulling the engine, transmission, and t-case. I'm most likely going to put it into storage and put into a future project. I was thinking about doing a First gen Ex sport with the power train but now I'm leading toward a second gen thanks to some of the awesome rides I saw in the modified section. I was hoping I could get some insight on what parts I should hang onto for my future ex. I'll probably find a wore out v6 Ex to swap later on. If there is anything I should hang onto to make my future 5.0 swap easier please let me know. I'll Probably start tear down either tomorrow or next weekend depending on when the insurance gets back to us. I wanted to start yesterday but the car is in my mom's name and she wanted me to wait until they knew for sure what the insurance is giving them.

I want to end up with a 4x4 I can wheel on the weekend and drive to work on Monday. Already looks like the AWD t-case is going straight out the window in favor of a selectable unit.

I was going to keep the '01 computer and harness but then I got to thinking about PATS, is it in the body control module and I have nothing to worry about or do I need to save something else for this to work?

That truck is done. Scrap it and put the funds towards another one. You can find trucks under 200k miles in good shape under 2 grand. Start there ith your build.

I can think of a lot of parts I would pull whether it ended up being for a swap or not.

Rear End - Lots of folks use our 8.8 for swaps into jeeps, track cars, etc. Depending on what gears and carrier it has, it could come close to paying for your towing fees.

Front Diff and half shafts - This explorer may have better (lower, higher) gear ratio than the one you get for the swap. Might be a limited slip. Its not super hard to pull, so I'd take it.

Fuel pump
Transfer Case
Motor with acc.
Tranny
Drive Shafts
Computer and all the control modules
Power front Seats
Harness

But by the time you get all that out and find a place to put it, you might as well leave the thing parked in the garage. :)

Back