• Register Today It's free!

One high beam lowers

Bleishear

Reaction score
City, State
Rising sun, md
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999, explorer, xlt
My low beams work fine. My high beams also come on. When I put my high beams on the right beam raises but the left beam lowers.

If you adjust the beam hieght for the highs to match then the left low is way to high. First I thought the bulb had a filament issues and changed the bulbs. That did not fix it. The headlight lenses were corroded so I replaced the headlight lenses. That fixed nothing.

Any ideas?

99 Ford Explorer, v8, AWD, XLT, 5 door

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No I did not check the connection for corrosion that connects to the light bulb. I will take a look!

Just a theory here. Maybe the bulb itself was assembled wrong? They are dual filament. Doesn't one side have the high and the other low? Maybe when they were put together the bulb was put in the plastic piece that locks in backwards? Therefor when you switch to the highs the filaments are mixed match on top and bottom? Have you maybe tried swapping some new bulbs?

This is just all speculation. And an idea. I'm not an expert on any of this.

To thought of that but the original bulb did the same thing. I then replaced both headlight bulbs and this one side performed the same..

Back