One last Body lift question...

SGR1600

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
Chappaqua, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT 4X4 SOHC
So basicly what I'm seeing in all of the threeds that I've read is that to do a 3" body lift on a '97 X I need the PA 853 kit with 883 front bumper brackets. However my question is: what about my hitch and my brush guard? What happens to them? If I move the hitch with the rear bumper I assume it will loose strength, and therefore no longer be a class III. And the brush guard?? I don't even know where to begin to thinkabout that...

If anyone has done this I'd love to hear about it. To put all of my cards on the table, I'm not even sure I want a BL, I'd like to be higher, but if its too much trouble with the brush guard and hitch, then I may just bag it.

for the brush guard, (i have a manik one) i was going to extend the part where it bolts to the frame. just make a rectangle with same bolt pattern and tht should be fine. it isn;t very strong as is but it'll still be prety strong as before.

now for the hitch, yes you would have to cut 3" off it and weld it back togethere. youd probolly have to bag the hitch and get a custom made one that is class III

Yeah, that bracket idea is what I've heard from people who have done it, but one person's writeup, I can't remmeber who, said it was a killer, and VERY tedious....

For my hitch I was able to cut some off and modify it so that it mounted to the X the exact same way as before....just 2" higher.

Back