one piece headlight assembly 1st gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

one piece headlight assembly 1st gen

backfrmcolorado

Reaction score
City, State
Commerce Twp, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Eddie B explod*****
Researching online looking for a set of euro headlights to run my HID headlights and came across a one piece headlight assembly....headlight,side reflector and blinker/running lights all in one. Has anyone ever seen these or does anyone by chance have a set...if so how well do the work and are they worth the money.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are just made in china junk, mostly for appearances and to cash in on the trend of LED strips in headlights. That said, it is kinda cool they are making such stuff for 91-94 models still.

If you just want plastic housings to stick real projector HIDs in, (not just fake HID bulbs with ballasts stuck into the housing in place of a 9004 bulb) then you could get the aftermarket "diamond" housings.

If you are thinking about sticking fake HID bulbs into them, don't. It's not only against the law, it's unsafe and causes a lot of glare right into the eyes of the drivers of oncoming cars. If you going to do HID, please do it right.

Yeah the HIDs i have i just put them in the stock houseing to see what they look like. I wont run them without the houseing with the cap over the bulb. I have Silverstar ultra now....got my HIDs as a gift from my girlfriend but i dont want to be the d**k running around town blinding everyone. Im looking for functionality as well as looks. I can get the one piece for $179 or the euro dimond cuts for$289. Thanks for the insight too...

Yeah the HIDs i have i just put them in the stock houseing to see what they look like. I wont run them without the houseing with the cap over the bulb. I have Silverstar ultra now....got my HIDs as a gift from my girlfriend but i dont want to be the d**k running around town blinding everyone. Im looking for functionality as well as looks. I can get the one piece for $179 or the euro dimond cuts for$289. Thanks for the insight too...

The cap over the bulb is not going to change anything. The light is not coming out the side of the HID, it is coming from that point, being reflected by the inside of the headlight housing, same as your stock headlights. The difference is, that HID is producing 4 times the lumens, and is producing light at a different point than your stock bulbs, so the light is not reflected correctly by your stock housings, or any of the Euro Housings.

Do yourself a favor, find a friend with stock HIDs on their car, take a ride in their car at night. Then, once you have seen what HIDs can really do when in a properly designed reflector or projector, you will never consider anything but a retrofit with a real projector.

Dredddog did a projector retrofit into his 94 using Morimoto Mini-H1 Bixenon projectors. Those projectors are so stupid easy to fit into most housings, it is almost a crime to think of the time we used to spend to align projectors in housings after chopping up the housing.

It only costs about $300 for the parts to do the projector retrofit, and it is about $200 for the headlights from procarparts

Thanks guys...guess ill be going with dreddogs plan of attack.

I seen on dreddogs that he had thhe diamond cut lenses....can i use the stock headlights lenses (new two years ago very clear not hazed) or will it distort the beam to much?

i am researching on "theRetroFitSource.com" but im wondering what would be the best bang for my buck on the kit i would need.

This will deffenetly be the way i will go...with further insight and research....thanks to all that have helped me with a desision and knowledge of the HID subject.

I have seen one other guy use stock headlights to do the retrofit. Obviously, it will reduce your output slightly, and it will soften your cut-off, but overall, it will be amazingly nice.

The easiest thing to work with are those morimoto mini H1s. Anything else, you will need to cut your headlight housing to mount them, then make an enclosure. The morimoto mini H1s are designed to fit in the hole that your stock headlamp fit in to make retrofitting as easy as possible.

Thanks FIND.....ok so ill be going with the minis and i guess im sticking with my stock lenses for now...ill get dimonds at a later date if needed. I just really like the output the projextor HIDs put out on my girlfriends new VW. Thanks again on claifying the HID projectors i neeses...saved me big money on wasteing it on new headlights just for the caps i thought i only needed. It will be a few weeks bfoe i start this little project but will glady post pics of the turnout if anyone is intetested.

2010-11-14122243.jpg

Got mine from eBay 150 shipped for all 6 pieces plus bulbs, im getting hi/lo true hid bulbs after i seen what my wives van looked like with them installed

Back