One piece or two piece gasket?

wayne31

Reaction score
City, State
Chicago, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
Hi All,

My truck is a 1999 Ford Explorer, 4.0L V6 OHV and I am replacing the intake manifold gasket. I found two FEL-PRO gaskets:

1: Part # MS90728 is a one piece lower intake manifold gasket.

2: Part # MS98006T is the gasket kit that includes the valve cover gaskets. The lower intake manifold gasket is two pieces and you have to make up the rest with some silicone.

Question: Is the one piece or the two piece better for the lower intake? It appears the existing gasket is two pieces (I haven't cleaned anything up, yet.)

Any help or advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Squinty P. :hammer:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same thing I am dealing with also. I ordered a head gasket set and it came with a two piece intake gasket and trying to decide if I should send it back and get the one piece. The picture on the web site when I ordered the kit had a one piece but the set arrived with a 2 piece. What is the procedure to putting on the 2 piece? 95 ex 4.0

I am probably going to buy the kit, tomorrow, which has the two piece gasket. If it works, it works.

I don't know what the install procedure is, but I am going clean the steel, set the gasket in silicone, torque down the bolts, catch a buzz, and hope to start my engine.

Sq-

The one piece is easier to install properly. I installed the one piece 12 years ago and it worked just fine. I decided to install a new gasket a couple of months ago rather than just retorque the bolts because I figured it was due, but they only had the two piece. I installed it using the RTV provided in the kit, and immediately had a huge oil leak out the back side of the valley. Had to redo the job.

Fel-Pro says the two piece kit is superior. Ford still uses the one piece. Who is likelier to be right? ;)

The two piece gasket is what fel pro says to use. They no longer make the one piece gasket. Use the sealant to connect the gaskets on the block. The tech. also said to let the sealant dry overnight before filling the system.

Ive used both and both work well.the benifit of the one piece is to keep oil from collecting all over the bottom of the lower manifold..the 2 piece i feel seals the runners better tho..you can cut the one piece one to make a valley splash guard and use the 2 piece to seal the runners..

Both gaskets require rtv to be put at both ends and in all 4 corners. .trick is to make sure its very clean there and dont be shy with the rtv

Back