One Way to Save a First Gen: A4LD to 5R55E Swap (Completed) | Page 9 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

One Way to Save a First Gen: A4LD to 5R55E Swap (Completed)

I wonder what the differences on the 1.5 vs the 2.0 are on the harness end of things.. If that was the case I could cut out the wiring and simply just plug an ecu from any 4.0 ohv with a 5r and have it work.. right?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, the main difference is the pin out on the pcm--95 is 60 pin like a first gen, 96+ is a 104 pin pcm. Also in the 95 engine BAY harness is an external ignition module, 96+ it is sans ignition module. Youre best bet is getting a 97 ohv engine harness, 97 engine BAY harness, 97 pcm, and 97 5r55e

Theres prolly some other minor wiring differences (the under dash DLC comes to mind, as well as ABS wiring differences) so some research is needed before anything is purchased, but it could be 6 one way, half a dozen the other as to simplicity in which route you go.

Since the tranny has now been installed for slightly over a year a year, i guess i should update yall with how it has been performing. I suffered through several months without tcc lockup and stupid flairs, but that was fixed once i figured out the rpm and vss issues. In febuary, when i did blue's mini restore, i ran all the wiring and mounted the EEC-V pcm. I have since put about 5000 miles on the tranny after that, and it has been performing flawlessly. All 5 gears works, tcc lockup occurs in 4th and 5th gears like ti should, and most importantly, it feels and drives like stock. since most of my driving is in town, i have noticed a slight increase in city MPG due to the 'new' second gear. I am really satisfied with this swap and encourage ANYBODY with a blown A4LD to consider this as a transmission replacement option. Maybe even perhaps nominate this thread as a sticky, lol. ::Wink Wink:: Anywho, Blue rolled over 275,000 Miles on this tranny, which i am VERY proud of.

563116_10100111633557691_44013058_38678750_636329868_n.jpg

Good work, now come and R&R mine that hasn't moved since last, last January.

The 5R55E broke something which created a pressure loss that keeps it from pulling much(slipping). I found a couple of pieces in the pan, it looks like part of a Torrington bearing or bushing. I haven't had time to pull it out to take it apart. Maybe I'll get to it this Summer, much to do.

I really like the 5R's gears, but the fragile internal parts worry me like the A4LD. I wish Ford had developed a strong 5R instead of updating the A4LD, which was a 4 cylinder trans to begin with. Night,

I can't believe that this isn't a sticky and for some reason I thought I had already voted. There I did it.

Excellent thread.

NICE59FORDF100, for some reason many of your pictures from the build don't seem to be showing up. Do you still have these?

You know how facebook can be lol. I'll try and get these restored

Quick question. You said in the first post that you can run a SOHC engine with an EEC-IV system. So would that pretty much be a drop-in swap? Or is there more to it? That would haul @$$! The reson I ask, is because I found a 97' in the junkyard yesterday with a SOHC in it. Engine, trans and transfer case were all pulled out and separated, but all there. I aleady have my sights set on the trans, pcm and harnesses but do you think I should try to scoop up the engine too? It was stripped down to longblock form but all the parts are there. Heads look brand new as well as the block. The block also has a Ford Reman plate on the side and there was a box in the backseat that contained Fel-Pro head gaskets at some point. Good find or nightmare?

Quick question. You said in the first post that you can run a SOHC engine with an EEC-IV system. So would that pretty much be a drop-in swap? Or is there more to it? That would haul @$$! The reson I ask, is because I found a 97' in the junkyard yesterday with a SOHC in it. Engine, trans and transfer case were all pulled out and separated, but all there. I aleady have my sights set on the trans, pcm and harnesses but do you think I should try to scoop up the engine too? It was stripped down to longblock form but all the parts are there. Heads look brand new as well as the block. The block also has a Ford Reman plate on the side and there was a box in the backseat that contained Fel-Pro head gaskets at some point. Good find or nightmare?

Sounds like a good find to me... Yes, you could run the SOHC on the OHV PCM with some work. Do a search on the issue, it's been discussed. Of course that would be almost worth just swapping the entire wiring harness and all EEC-V components if you're already changing that much with the 5R trans.

Sounds like a good find to me... Yes, you could run the SOHC on the OHV PCM with some work. Do a search on the issue, it's been discussed. Of course that would be almost worth just swapping the entire wiring harness and all EEC-V components if you're already changing that much with the 5R trans.

This... and thats coming from someone with an EEC-IV SOHC swap.

OK, ya'll ready for an update? :D

First of all, I just fixed all the pictures in this thread. For whatever reason, Facebook changed how their links work, but I was able to correct it until next time lol

Second, the trans is still doing fine! (Aside from a pan leak, but thats not fault of the swap itself). Tcc lockup still happens, it still shifts perfectly, mileage is still SLIGHTLY higher overall. It feels very factory and that was my goal. Havent had a single trans code pop up ever (and I check to make sure the light does work) and I can say without a doubt, best mod i have ever done. I really need someone else to do this swap so I can compare notes and consider building these harnesses for retail use...just a thought...

If I had Spare money and Time It would Be a Great Option For us First Gen Guys !

First of all, I just fixed all the pictures in this thread. For whatever reason, Facebook changed how their links work, but I was able to correct it until next time lol

Thanks!!! The added pics will help a lot.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't want to jump the gun here or get ahead of myself, but the 5R55E custom prototype harness i built to make this swap possible might be for sale soon...

Back