Only rear passenger wheel gets power 2002 XLS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Only rear passenger wheel gets power 2002 XLS

remy74

Reaction score
City, State
Council Bluffs, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer
I tried searching, but couldn't find a thread that addressed this. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide any information.

We recently had some snow here and while trying to get out of our driveway our 2002 Explorer XLS got stuck. I got out of the car to check things out and noticed as my wife gave the car gas, only the passenger side rear wheel was spinning. Our 4x4 Hi and Low will not engage. I dropped a floor mat under that wheel, and we got out. Later when we came home, I put the Ex on jack stands and put it in drive. Sure enough, only the rear passenger wheel is spinning.

I've read about the 4X4 command module problem, but when that goes out is it normal for only one wheel to spin? Or do I have a different problem?

I'll cart the Ex off to our mechanic after my tax refund arrives, but I wanted to know if anyone else had any experience with this and what kind of repair I might be in for.

Thanks so much.

Spinning one wheel is normal. It means you have an open differential. Typically on base explorers, they are open front and rear, so in that same situation you would spin the right rear and the left front.

A 4x4 with open axles is still only 2 wheel drive (in slipping conditions) which is why limited slip differentials are so popular on road, and locking differentials for off road.

It sounds like you might have a 4x4 engagement issue. Before you take it your mechanic, do a once through of your fuse box. Make sure that all of your fuses are good. It's been known to happen where a blown fuse is the issue.

I did not realize that. Thanks for the response. I'll check the fuses too.

Search on here for "open differential" or "open diff" and you'll find lots of threads where people are talking about how differentials behave.

One driving technique for slippery conditions with an open diff is to drag the brakes slightly when one wheel starts spinning. This can sometimes slow the spinning wheel enough that some power transfers over to the other wheel.

None of this addresses your 4x4 issue. If it's not the fuses, it could be a bad connection (go under and wiggle all the wires, unplug and replug the connections), a bad shift motor, a bad 4wd control module, or all the way up to a bad pcm. Could even be a bad switch in the dash. Checking fuses and connections are definitely something you can do yourself to potentially save you some money at the mechanic.

Back