• Register Today It's free!

OnStar for non GM Vehicles

jjs461

Reaction score
City, State
Philadelphia, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited
Has any one checked out the new OnStar FMV (For My Vehicle) now you can get onstar for any vehicle including 2011 Ex's
http://www.onstar.com/web/fmv/home check it out. It doesn't give all the features but just some of the features that most people use. It comes in a box all you do is change your rear view mirror, Best Buy @ $374.99.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why would you want OnStar for an Ex? One reason I wanted an Ex with Sync, was so that I could use my own phone WITHOUT having to pay an extra $30 or whatever a month for the OnStar phone service.

Really - I don't get it?

I don't get it either but some of those complaining about how MFT and Sync suck might want it or owners of a base model without Sync or MFT might use it.

Ford has a licensed product called 'SkyWay'

Check it out here. If a video shows up first, wait for the end of the video for the menu of features.

OnStar FMV to an Explorer

Why would you want OnStar for an Ex? One reason I wanted an Ex with Sync, was so that I could use my own phone WITHOUT having to pay an extra $30 or whatever a month for the OnStar phone service.

Really - I don't get it?

Hi calb - I saw you wonder why anyone would want to add OnStar to their vehicle. We have a lot of subscribers who love the service like Alice Koone who we helped to save her life http://onstarconnections.com/2010/04/onstar-helps-transplant-patient. There are also a lot of other features such as Live Advisors 24/7, Automatic Crash Repsonse, and Turn-by-Turn Navigation that our subscribers find useful. If you have any questions about OnStar, I do digital work for OnStar, and I will be happy to help.

One reason I wanted an Ex with Sync, was so that I could use my own phone WITHOUT having to pay an extra $30 or whatever a month for the OnStar phone service.
Is SYNC free forever, or just the first few years (and then we have to pay just like Onstar)?

Hi calb - I saw you wonder why anyone would want to add OnStar to their vehicle. We have a lot of subscribers who love the service like Alice Koone who we helped to save her life http://onstarconnections.com/2010/04/onstar-helps-transplant-patient. There are also a lot of other features such as Live Advisors 24/7, Automatic Crash Repsonse, and Turn-by-Turn Navigation that our subscribers find useful. If you have any questions about OnStar, I do digital work for OnStar, and I will be happy to help.

I guess GM monitors this forum as well as Ford :)

Cory, Rebecca - since GM has seen this thread, it likely has also noticed the troubles Ford is having with MFT/Sync, Rain Noise, A-Pillar Rattle and the like! Might wanna pass this up the chain to perhaps impart some urgency to get these issues fixed!

I can guarantee that if I were GM, I'd give every dealer talking points lifted directly off these forums to turn buyers off of the Explorer (I'm sure those dealers need lots of help, especially since the Acadia costs more money for far less features).

Is SYNC free forever, or just the first few years (and then we have to pay just like Onstar)?

MFT and voice command is free forever, Sync services is free for 3 years and then pay after that.

I think it is free forever (leaving aside the live person assist - for that, who knows) since it uses your cell phone? Okay - I'm thinking MFT - I'll go with what jrmexplorer said.

I'm sure a lot of subscribers love their service, but it seems to me I'd be paying an extra cell phone bill, and why do that versus using your own cell phone? Turn by turn is available with Sync, as are live advisers (though to be honest I'd rather deal with my computer/phone) The one advantage I do see with Onstar is the automatic crash response; I'm not planning to use that feature, mind you ;) Thank you for the information!

SYNC services are only free for first 3 years...then you pay.

I guess GM monitors this forum as well as Ford :)

Cory, Rebecca - since GM has seen this thread, it likely has also noticed the troubles Ford is having with MFT/Sync, Rain Noise, A-Pillar Rattle and the like! Might wanna pass this up the chain to perhaps impart some urgency to get these issues fixed!

I can guarantee that if I were GM, I'd give every dealer talking points lifted directly off these forums to turn buyers off of the Explorer (I'm sure those dealers need lots of help, especially since the Acadia costs more money for far less features).

I was thinking it was the Onstar person, moreso than GM. I'm sure GM is aware of all the issues, and I know for a fact they rent/buy competitive products and do teardowns on them.

I'm sure a lot of subscribers love their service, but it seems to me I'd be paying an extra cell phone bill, and why do that versus using your own cell phone? Turn by turn is available with Sync, as are live advisers (though to be honest I'd rather deal with my computer/phone) The one advantage I do see with Onstar is the automatic crash response; I'm not planning to use that feature, mind you ;) Thank you for the information!

Hey bud you got this feature that serves the same function as (ACR). Its called 911 assist, it gives you an option yes or no whenever you pair your phone. Or go to your bluetooth settings and its in there....so yeah no need to pay almost $400 for a feature that is free for the first three years. Just wanted to point that out.....

By using your mobile phone, 911 Assist helps put you directly in touch with a 911 operator - bypassing intermediary call centers - and if you're unable to speak, the system delivers an urgent message to the emergency operator. The system is triggered by airbag deployment or fuel pump shutoff.

Hey bud you got this feature that serves the same function as (ACR). Its called 911 assist, it gives you an option yes or no whenever you pair your phone. Or go to your bluetooth settings and its in there....so yeah no need to pay almost $400 for a feature that is free for the first three years. Just wanted to point that out.....

By using your mobile phone, 911 Assist helps put you directly in touch with a 911 operator - bypassing intermediary call centers - and if you're unable to speak, the system delivers an urgent message to the emergency operator. The system is triggered by airbag deployment or fuel pump shutoff.

I was about to say that hitting 911 wasn't the same and then I noted your comment that airbag deployment sets it off, so now I really don't see any advantage with Onstar? Maybe... must maybe (I'm grasping at straws) the Onstar phone has better survivability in a crash?

My feeling is that Onstar is dead/dying technology; nobody wants to pay for that extra phone.

I do know that when my ex-Boss was up north in Canada, well out of cell range, he could still make calls out with his OnStar service.

I do know that when my ex-Boss was up north in Canada, well out of cell range, he could still make calls out with his OnStar service.

What cell service does OnStar use? Perhaps your ex-boss' carrier didnt have coverage there but the service OnStar uses does.

No other explanation as to how it would have worked. Unless it uses the satellites to make the calls?

I think it has more to do with power. I think it's a Verizon in US and Bell in Canada, but the OnStar system is running about 3 watts vs. 5-600 milliwatts on the typical cell phone.

Some people like the Bluetooth feature so you can pair your phone versus purchasing Hands-Free Calling minutes. The Roadside Assistance is also a favorite among subscribers.

And we hope you'd never have to use the Automatic Crash Response, either!

My wife insists on getting OnStar. We have had it on our past 2 GM cars. She never turns her phone on and likes to just push a button to use the OnStar phone. I have an extra phone I was going to leave always on in the Ex, but that didn't fly with her. Has anyone on the forum installed the OnStar system?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's just a powered mirror, with power hookups, etc... It doesn't integrate into the vehicle, so it should be simple to install.

Back