• Register Today It's free!

OnStar installed

sgparnes

Reaction score
City, State
Atlanta, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Limited WMetTr/Pecan
To make my wife happy I had OnStar installed on Sunday. It was hooked up to the front radio speaker, but a mic was added on to the top of the front windshield. The only feature lost was the self dimming mirror. She never has her cell phone on and wanted instant phone feature. Original mirror wire was left in case I want to go back to factory mirror. OnStar seems to work fine, but of course does not mute the radio or fan. Bluetooth phone does not slow down the blower fan either. On my last Enclave both the radio and fan were muted during a call. Little things like that should be included on this Explorer,as well as bucket seat armrests.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you add a picture of install, i want to see how it looks

Installing OnStar in a 2011 Ford vehicle..............That says alot about MFT

Installing OnStar in a 2011 Ford vehicle..............That says alot about MFT

Actually it's more about my wife never having her cell phone on and the fact that our past 2 vehicles(GM) had OnStar and the one before was an S class Mercedes which had their own version and also a transportable flip phone. I don't have any problems as I keep my cell phone on and it links with the Explorer via Bluetooth. BTW the mirror looks like an ordinary mirror as you would see on a GM car. The OnStar buttons are on the botton side, and volume and brightness controls are on the top.If I remember correctly the factory system does not have brightness and volume on the mirror. No external antenna! I think Ford should try a similar system which does not require your cell phone to be on. I believe OnStar is a GM product,so of course Ford would not "opt in" and use this system. I believe some other makes(VW?) use the OnStar system.

Don't get me wrong I think On* is an excellent product, I use it on the wife's 2011 GMC Terrain with the On* iPhone App and I love it. Their iPhone App is outstanding IMO. It has all your vehicle diagnostic info along with remote start.

I understand the 2ND built in On* phone. I just think that a cutting edge 2011MY Ford Explorer should offer its owner the same, if not more of the same technology benefits without having to install On*

Because the mirror version is not factory installed it does not offer remote start. I have remote on my LTD w. 302A pkg. The OnStar does have GPS built in and can locate the vehicle if stolen. Does MFT or Sync have the location feature?

OnStar FMV discount

BTW OnStar is running a special until 10/31/2011 for $199 plus install. Mine was $279 including the $100 discount...in case anyone is interested.

I keep a backup cheap phone paired through BT and powered through the DC outlet.

I leave the phone on all the time, when everybody forgets their phone the X goes to the backup phone automatically (well ... after searching for the default phone first).

An app called "Where's my Droid" serves as a GPS locator. I send a text message to the phone, and it texts back with its location and a Google Maps link.

For real-time tracking I use Google's Latitude app.

The phone draws very little power from the X, I've left the phone in/on for a week and the X started right up when I use it again.

The only problem I've experienced is the charger adapter that plugs into the DC outlet will sometimes get loose and the _phone_ runs out of battery juice ... looking to hard-wire the phone charger directly to the DC outlet.

Back