oo explorer 4.0 OHV blown Head gasket | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

oo explorer 4.0 OHV blown Head gasket

jacksonh18

Reaction score
City, State
Kalispell, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
00 4.0 OHV 4wd
I replaced the heads at 55k when I bought the car and the mechanic told me the heads I gave him to put on didn't fit well. I have had to add coolant a bit at a time for the past 5 years.

It has 117k on it now and the driver side head is leaking and the misfiring on cyl #1

I think I'm just going to replace both heads while I'm in there. The engine has a ticking like sound too (here is a video with the sound, sounds like its coming from the passenger valve cover. http://youtu.be/50d2fna04jw

Does it just sound like it is misfiring and I can get away with just replacing the heads or does it sound like more is going on?

Also, it seems like I can get aftermarket heads for both sides for the same price as rebuilt factory heads. Does anyone know which is the better option?

This listing has the heads, gaskets, and bolts for $515 for both sides, is this garbage or good?

Also, does anyone know of a good video or write up for replacing the heads on this truck or the mazda, ranger, or mountaineer with the same engine? Videos would be ideal, I think I'm gonna order the chitin and haynes manuals today.

Back