• Register Today It's free!

OOPPs.. Electric Issues

AZExploder

Reaction score
City, State
Phoenix, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2010 Mountaineer Premier
I was probing an open socket in the under hood fuse box in my 2010 Mountaineer 4.6l - looking for a spot to power a relay for a light bar. I guess I had the wrong setting or the red pin in the wrong socket - but CRACKLE - POOF she set off a bit of a light show what seemed to be in the middle of the firewall, but not sure.

Result:
No Key:
- Rear Running lights and left amber blinker stay on. No other lights work at all - head/dash/cabin. No window/mirror control.

Key ON, :
- Rear Lights and amber blinker off, other than that, ditto #1

Key ON, Engine ON:
- Truck starts up, Shifter works though gears, center console powered, A/C functional, cluster computer functional, no radio, ditto #1

No computer codes other than P1000.

What I have done so far:
- Checked all fuses - no issues
- Checked hot wires - no issues
- Reviewed PCM harness and wires - no issues.

Perhaps a hidden fusible link ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like SJB issues.check the inner fuse box and maybe look for blown SJB harness connectors pins

Sounds like you fried a relay shut.
If you can remember which hole you plugged your
power source into, that will be the circuit that fried shut.
The smoke was from the ground wire to firewall trace (wire).

Seems like SJB issues.check the inner fuse box and maybe look for blown SJB harness connectors pins
Is the SJB the fuse box in the engine compartment?

Just spent an hour ripping one out of an Explorer.. I love you-pull junk yards.. Now I know

should just take 15 min to take out the one in mine now I know what is on top of the thing and how to release the connectors.

A cheap meter set to ohms, or possibly set to amps, when tested on a circuit with voltage will often do this.

Just spent an hour ripping one out of an Explorer.. I love you-pull junk yards.. Now I know

should just take 15 min to take out the one in mine now I know what is on top of the thing and how to release the connectors.

20210626_180712.jpg
20210626_180723.jpg

Any reason i should not be able to use the Explorer 2010 4.6l brain in my Mountaineer 2010 4.6l ?>?>

frikin identical except for the description.

All the electronic modules of 2006-2010 4gen are the same but different in as-build and programming opinion.

I mean you can swap all the electronic parts between production years (also between xls,xlt ,limited and EB)but you will need to make sure how to change your as build file

Couple of modules like SJB will work without as build file change but maybe you will get some kind of minor DTCs

Anyways
For proper SJB replace
You have to perform "module initialize" using diagnostic equipment

All the fuses were good on the in-cab box. Would the issues described indicate a fried board requiring the swap??

Not at all

You should first check the whole wiring to SJB module.

Back