• Register Today It's free!

Open up headlights?

cgbier

Reaction score
City, State
Saipan
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda Navajo
My light output is pretty dismal. However, it is not coming from a dull lens (the usual result from UV on clear plastic), but I have water condensation inside that won't get out, even though the truck stands in the tropical sun day and night.

Cut them buggers apart, clean the lens then put it back together with epoxy and/or silicone? Has anybody ever done that?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are they stock or aftermarket?

Im not sure about stock, but you can "bake" open most aftermarket housings in the oven, and then "pry" them apart slowly, usually throwing them back in the oven a few times in between. Or you can use a heat gun.

Not sure the usual temp, or time to keep them in, search YouTube or google for more info.

I wouldnt cut them, as you most likely wont ever get them properly sealed again.

They seem be stock.

Thanks for the hint.

My light output is pretty dismal. However, it is not coming from a dull lens (the usual result from UV on clear plastic), but I have water condensation inside that won't get out, even though the truck stands in the tropical sun day and night.

Cut them buggers apart, clean the lens then put it back together with epoxy and/or silicone? Has anybody ever done that?

You're overcomplicating it.

You can get the condensation to evaporate just by taking the bulbs out from the back of the housings, then let sunlight hit the lens from the front for a few hours or so, until all the moisture has evaporated, via the heat and air circulation.

To seal them from future moisture, use your choice of silicone around the clear lens/tan plastic housing that's under the rubber surround. Work it in there and then let it at least get tacky before putting the rubber back on, which will push it down even more.

You CAN try to melt the stock adhesive by sticking them in an oven, but you risk melting them unless you get the temperature perfect.

Yep, RangerX, that's how I know it. I'll try Anime's idea with the headlight in the sun first though. This won't resolve the leaking, but will give more light for the time being.

Blow Dryer or Heat Gun blowing into the Headlight bulb opening also dries them out , then you can stick a light on the inside to see if you have any cracks or open areas that the water is getting into , I need to do this to mine as I'm starting to get some condensation in mine randomly as well . I do believe there is a hole under the headlight bulb area for water to escape from , but its been a while since I have put the explorer headlights on my navajo .

Willy, yeah, I've done that several times already. Wasn't sure though if the reflector is baked to the lens or simply glued.

For the complicating things - sorry, I'm German ;)

Oh, and btw, a belated Happy New Year to everyone. May all your wishes come true this year.

Back