Opening/locking mechanism in trunk is somehow busted | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opening/locking mechanism in trunk is somehow busted

roboman

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger 4.0L FX4
All of a sudden last week, I noticed it took a ton of effort to push on the knob to open the rear glass window. At the same time, the whole liftgate wouldn't open at all. After trying to figure out what on earth was going on, I found out that the liftgate will open like it's supposed to if I pop the glass and HOLD down the unlock button. But if I'm not holding the unlock button, there's no resistance in the liftgate handle - it feels like it's locked, which it essentially is. At the same time, the knob for the glass window will not lock at all. It's always unlocked, but strangely feels like normal when I lock the rest of the car. But after trying to open it that first time, it goes back to normal and takes a great deal of pushing to get the glass to open.

I popped off the small plastic covers above the lock mechanism inside the Exp and checked out everything inside that I could. I don't fully understand how that all works, so since I didn't see anything obvious that was broken, I don't know what to do. This whole condition popped up out of nowhere too - it's not like the mechanism has been declining in condition for some time now and it finally gave out. That's why this is all so baffling.

Is there a way to take the whole giant plastic fascia off the inside of the liftgate to expose every bit of the locking mechanism? Some areas have clips that will pop off, but others evidently are glued to the metal liftgate since I snapped one piece above the glass window.

Any tips or opinions would be extremely helpful. Thanks!

Back