Opening the rear hatch from inside. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opening the rear hatch from inside.

chriswells78

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Powell(Columbus), OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited
So I used the Explorer to camp in last weekend. A full size air mattress fits perfectly in the back with the rear seats down. It worked great for all but one aspect. We couldn't get out the hatch from the inside.

My question is, is there a trick to opening the hatch from the inside or is it not possible. If it is not, does anybody have any ideas how to make some sort of hatch release from the inside? It's kind of a PITA to crawl out the rear door.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well the stock latch rotates to disengage so you might look into taking the rear hatch apart and installing a pully near the bottom edge and run a wire under it to the part of the rotating mechanism the moves down. the wire can then leave the door 5 or six inches up from the bottom and have a handle attached.
this will let you pull up and disengage the latch with a mattress in the bed.

I haven't actually tried this but might eventually because I also like the idea of sleeping in the back of my truck on a futon mattress i have lying around.

lmao, i just seen this post today...i asked the very same question a couple of weeks ago as i to went camping and had a worst time getting out...my door lock pins in the rear were the same height as the fronts...in order to get out the back at all i had to reach down thru everything, release the drivers side seat so it would tilt forward so i could get to the button to unlock the doors...either that or take a chance on busting my armrest crawling thru...thank goodness i'm good in tight quarters, lmao...

i didn't get any good responses to my post but i will devise something...my main concern is at least being able to open that window manually, in case of emergency or if it gets to warm in there you can easily open the window without your keys sitting in the ignition...:)

I wonder if you could use something like a power trunk kit or door popper kit (ones used with shaved door handles; stronger solenoids)
trunk.jpg

That might work. I'll have to do some research when I get done with my motor project.

There you go, attach a popper to the latch, inside the hatch. You would end up placing the switch on the hatch though,feeding wires out to the body is not easy. Good luck,

Did you ever try this? I would also be interested in what you did, because I find myself in the same situation a lot:p:

I'll be working on it in a few months before we get full swing into camping season ;)

So I used the Explorer to camp in last weekend. A full size air mattress fits perfectly in the back with the rear seats down. It worked great for all but one aspect. We couldn't get out the hatch from the inside.

My question is, is there a trick to opening the hatch from the inside or is it not possible. If it is not, does anybody have any ideas how to make some sort of hatch release from the inside? It's kind of a PITA to crawl out the rear door.

I have the same question but for a much more serious reason. My liftgate is rusted over. It won't open. I am going to replace it this summer but I am not sure as to how I am gonna get it open to replace it.

I shaved the T-handle off the back of my X, and installed the T-handle in the inside of the hatch...I also installed the exact motor shown in this thread on the glass release latch. So I can press a button on my remote, and it will release the glass, I can reach in and pull the hatch open....the same can be done in a stock application too...

Ryan

Wow, somehow I never saw this thread last year. :confused:

If you gently close the rear glass so it just rests against the weatherstripping, it will not engage the latch. This will allow you to simply push it open from inside. This may be possible with the entire hatch, though I've never tried it.

The solenoid idea would be pretty cool though.

^^ That exactly what I used to do, when I slept in the back of the explorer. Just pop the glass so it's not latched and then in the morning, push it open. You can then open the hatch with the handle outside. It also allows just enough fresh air while you sleep.

I'm going to put a switch inside the back door wired parallel to the switch for opening the glass hatch and I'll be able to leave the vehicle fully locked while asleep.

Even though leaving the upper hatch in a gently closed, unhatched state is pretty good, it still leaves you having to crawl back through the car if you accidentally close it.

Still hard to believe Ford put a mechanical lock at the bottom of the hatch inside and electronic lock for all doors, again inside next to the hatch, but no mechanical handle for the hatch or electronic release for the upper hatch. The second one will be the easiest to fix.

Back