opinion 0n which grille to buy for 2007 explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

opinion 0n which grille to buy for 2007 explorer

The second for lowering the first for lifting.

106.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The second one looks much better (in black). Chrome just looks cheap and gaudy most of the time. And the second one is not for a lowered Explorer. An Explorer should never be lowered unless it's for some special race project.

Here you go, end thread. I had the billet myself before this grille and there is absolutely no comparison. People compliment my on my grille all the time. Grille looks much more solid in person, in the pics it looks like some cheap thin screen. Its really like an inch think. Next question is do you want chrome or black? I vote black.

DSCN1251.jpg

DSCN0827.jpg

thanks for the pictures. nice explorer.
I don't know if mine would look good in black because of color of my explorer. I haven't seen one in my area yet. can anyone photoshop one in chrome for my explorer?

What color is your X?
Dark Stone Metallic?
Here is Dark Stone Metallic with painted trim and chrome mirror caps as I suggested.
Since your paint it dark I would do a silver grille to offset the dark paint, black wouldn't stand out as much.

50592157.jpg

50592181.jpg

What color is your X?
Dark Stone Metallic?
Here is Dark Stone Metallic with painted trim and chrome mirror caps as I suggested.
Since your paint it dark I would do a silver grille to offset the dark paint, black wouldn't stand out as much.

50592157.jpg

50592181.jpg

man, thats a nice explorer. the name of paint on my explorer, according to paint code, is alloy met (G5 color code) and (G3 color code) pueblo gold met. I do like this suggestion. I plan to get the chrome mirrors in the near future. thanks for your suggestions.

I have pictures of my explorer on the 1st page (1st post). I got my color code from d/s door. I guess I wrote down wrong color code.
my explorer looks like your previous comment picture

thanks for the paint code link. no problem. at least I have a general idea how mine would look like in solid color.

i would go for the second one because its gna look more classy the first one is more of an aggressive look and since you have an e.b it wouldnt go nice

Is it possible to get just the "wire" insert?

Got an XLT and want the ST Adrenalin look (like so many other people). Thought about getting an Ironman grille and cutting out the slats, then replacing them with the wire/mesh whatever it's called.

showthread.php

Is it possible to get just the "wire" insert?

Got an XLT and want the ST Adrenalin look (like so many other people). Thought about getting an Ironman grille and cutting out the slats, then replacing them with the wire/mesh whatever it's called.

showthread.php

The grille is pretty much one piece so I don't think that's really possible, unfortunately.

True. But I saw a thread here where one of the billet grilles was just the insert and you actually left the grille piece in place, you just cut out the slats ad replaced them with a billet insert. I'm wanting the wire/mesh insert though.

Here's an example on some older Explorers; I'll see if I can find the thread that talked about the 2006-2010 body style.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=174633

This brings up a good point: You're going to have to do something about the holes if you do cut out the slats.

The other challenge is: How do you mount the blue oval, if you want to keep that (which I do).

*Thinking somebody out there needs to get a 3D printer and start making and selling these things!

If you want mesh in place of the triple bars (or even behind the triple bars) in the grill, that's a DIY only job as far as I know.

It's pretty easy though. Just buy some mesh or perforated metal at a local store (Home Depot/Lowes have mesh) or online (Google 'customcargrills') then attach it to the back of your OE grill assembly. If you want the triple bars gone, just dremel them off and fine sand the cuts.

As far as mounting the Ford badge, just mock-up the mesh before cutting off the bars, mark where the badge belongs on the back of the mesh, and re-attach later.

How hard is it to put a new grill in like the Bentley style? Can the stock one go back in if I were to trade truck back in?

To OP, I have the same looking Explorer, mine is an '09. Maybe I missed it, but have you thought about plasti dipping the stock one? I am most likely going to do that. Its cheap and you can get the cans at Lowes..

I am wanting to make changes to mine. I need better lights, lift and tires and rims. I haven't figured out all the rims yet. So far I have seen 16's 17's (like ours) and even 18's that are stock.

Good luck!

The mesh in those looks to be like diamond mesh, this Diamond XXL sheet would seem to match (they have plenty of other options though, look around their site). Be sure to look through the "Customer Pictures using this mesh" for the various options.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any pics of what you ended up going with for your grill? I have a similar explorer carbon and gold (eddie bower ed) and prefer the billet look but can't find a billet grille that will allow me to cut out the center portion. I hate the overlay look because I think the original grille will be too noticeable behind it. Has anyone ever tried one of those overlay billet grilles and have pictures of what they look like? Everything on ebay looks like they are Photoshoped and i don't trust that how it will really look.

Back