Opinion On Current Ranger | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinion On Current Ranger

X6StringerX

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Lincoln MKS EcoBoost
We just recently bought a 2011 Focus SES and while I was at the dealership, I was checking out Rangers. Right now, Ford is offering huge rebates, so it's a great time to buy. Aside from that, I've had several people in the last couple of months who asked if I would want to sell my Explorer. I wasn't interested, but some of them tossed out numbers of $3500 and $4000. So, I'm thinking about a 2011 Ranger Sport 4x4 Extended Cab. Since we just bought the car, the salesman told me he would sell me a Ranger at invoice, which is around $22,000 optioned the way I want. With the $4500 rebate and a potential down payment of $4000 if I sell my Explorer, I'm only looking at financing about $13,500 on a brand new truck. The numbers look great, but I'm a little out of the loop as far as the Rangers are concerned.

Do the current SOHC 4.0 in the Rangers still suffer from the timing chain cassette issues?

Is the automatic transmission a point of concern as it is with most Explorer owners?

I'm used to having a 5.0/4R70W, so I haven't had to worry about these issues with my Explorer.

Any insight is appreciated. I'm seriously contemplating doing this... maybe this weekend.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As far as all of your questions go, I have no idea, but I'm pretty sure the Ranger was "finished" so to speak, I don't want to say perfected, as I don't know for sure.

I was gonna say You could look it up and see how the Ranger does, then I realized it would probably bring you right back here to this forum or the dreaded TRS or RPS. lol.

I say go for it, but definitely test drive it and see if you like the v6 versus your v8 and etc. I'm sure the newer more improved 4.0 SOHCs put out some good power compared to a 10 year old V8 in my opinion.

Good luck with your decision.

Honestly? If it does what you need, I wouldn't think twice about it. I'd get the Ranger. If it were me though, I'd get a 4 cylinder stick, because I want crazy mileage. :D

I loved both of the Rangers I've owned. ('93 4cyl 2wd XLT and '99 6cyl 4wd XLT)

Brad,

I'll be quite honest about power. It doesn't concern me much at all. There are quite a few more choices out there that would suit the needs of someone looking for power. I'm more interested in the reliability.

Joe,

I'm really thinking it would be a good fit for me. I've loved all 4 of the Explorers that I've owned and the Ranger is similar in terms of its foot print and creature comforts. I have no doubt that I will settle into one rather quickly if I choose to go through with it. I just need to become a little more informed before I make a purchase. As far as the 4 cylinder goes, I don't think that is going to happen. I always opt for the bigger engine offering as somewhat of a safeguard for what my come. I can definitely see myself having a couple jet skis or a couple ATVs in the future and I'd like to be able to tow them with relative ease. The only manual I'll ever buy will be in a muscle/sports car. I drive them too much at work to ever want to have one for my daily driver as well. Tons of stop and go traffic will do that to you, lol.

Keep it coming guys!

You'll like it for one very good reason- when you're driving it, you'll feel like you're in your Ex. The dash, the floor space... It's all similar to you. If you get a supercab, 75% of what you take in the Ex will fit there. You'll like it, they're superb little rigs.

That all sounds good, but I can't help but come back to the two concerns I mentioned earlier. It's pretty difficult to browse through EF and not stumble upon the numerous threads about SOHC timing chain casettes and 5R55E transmissions. I'm seeing that some people are having these issues prior to hitting the 100k mile mark. At the rate I put miles on a vehicle, I'll still be making payments on it when it reaches that point.

I know that no two vehicles are going to be exactly the same in terms of reliability. I might go buy the Ranger and make it 300k miles on oil changes or I might go buy a vehicle that has the best reliability ratings in the industry and have it die on me in a month's time. Those are entirely possible scenarios. As much as I'd love to go buy a new Ranger tomorrow, I've got to figure out this inner battle first, lol.

Brad,

I'll be quite honest about power. It doesn't concern me much at all. There are quite a few more choices out there that would suit the needs of someone looking for power. I'm more interested in the reliability.

well alright then, I just know from personal experience, I'll drive my truck for all day (v6) then get into one of the work trucks (Chevy 3500) and notice big power differences, I'd love a v8, lol.

But I'm with Joe on the 4cyl/stick, only way to do it if you have to get a 4cyl...

I think I might not have conveyed exactly what I meant. The power difference between the 5.0 in the Explorers and the 4.0 SOHC in Explorers and Rangers is minimal. The 5.0 found is only rated at 215hp/288tq. The 4.0 SOHC is rated at 207hp/2xxtq. I'm not sure of the exact torque for the 4.0, but I'm sure it's not quite as much as the 5.0.

With that being said, my parents had a 2002 Explorer Sport with the 4.0 SOHC and it would spank my 5.0 all day long. Granted, when I drove their Explorer, it only had about 20k miles on it and mine had about 100k, but it was night and day difference in terms of pep. That Sport would flat out scoot! I expect the same from the Ranger since I will be ordering it with 4.10 gears... if I get one. :)

I believe that 04+ had the problem remedied with the tensioners. Someone correct if I'm wrong...

The timing chain problem has been corrected. (My '06 has 83K and no rattle.)

I think the tranny issue is blown way out of proportion. My '93 A4LD has 302,000 miles on it. All original (except the fluid.)

If you want the Ranger, get it. It is your last chance, after all.

I concur, we rarely ever see them with problems where I work. I'd do it :rangergreen:

Back