opinions on Cooper Discoverer s/t | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

opinions on Cooper Discoverer s/t

I am looking to buy new tires, and am really leaning towards the Cooper Discoverer s/t (coopers version the bfg at) because they are $40 less per tire than the bfg at. I did a search on here, and didn't find much info regarding performance/treadwear. I also searched the net, and only came up with positive reviews. I would like to find any negative opinions on these. Any feedback would be appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

they don't look like they would clean that well or that good in the rain

news.h1.jpg

there has to be a good reason why they are 40 less a tire. my thought has been dont go cheap on tires they might wind up saving your life

might want to ask jamest, he makes cooper tires

there are a LOT of guys at work running this tire. here are my opinions on it vs. BFG AT-

just as quiet

rides just as nice

doesnt last quite as long as BFG, but close

works better in mud/trails

just as good in rain/snow (we only get snow and ice here once every 2 years, so this could be debatable)

all in all, they are a very nice AT and quite agressive for an AT. as far as them "not cleaning out in mud", well no AT is good in mud. in a comparison, these are alot better than just about any other AT in mud... although better really isnt saying much.

disclaimer- just because i build tires at Cooper doesnt mean i go around recommending them to everyone. if you do some searching you will see that on average i have recommended other manufacturer's tires as much if not more than Cooper in the past. i will give you honest unbiased no BS truth. of course i would like you to buy a set, but its no skin off my nose either way. just to even things out...... the STT's suck in the mud. :D

Thanks for the input. Is it just me, or do they look like the tread has a higher void than the BFG? They look like they might be a little louder than the BFG. Either way, I'm still leaning toward these over the BFG.

Gonzo, a bit of advice. Go to the tire store, and actually feel how thick the sidewalls are on both tires before making up your mind. Sidewall strength is a factor you didn't bring up, and when you 4 wheel your vehicle, if your sidewall lets go on a rock or tree stump, your "investment" will end up wrapped around your axle...:eek:

-Ken

I didn't think about the sidewall thickness. Thanks. One more question: Which load range should I get, C or D? I am assuming I want C. Also, is there a difference in sidewall thickness between the C and D load range tire?

I read something on the web about Cooper Tires and a lawsuit for the same problem Firestone Wilderness AT tires had. I had been considering them for my truck up until that point.

every tire manufacturer has been sued for tread separation. basically, the Firestone fiasco set a precedent and opened the doorway to sue a tire manufacturer for ANY issue that would make a tire fail, even issues that were not a manufacturer defect. example-

about 2 years ago Cooper was sued by the family of a mother/father/kids that were killed by a pickup truck with Cooper tires. the truck was hauling washers, dryers, and refrigerators and was severely overloaded. the tire that failed had been tested and shown to have been under 15psi for quite some time. it also had a screw in it that was there so long the belts rusted around it (thus causing the tread separation). to add to it, the driver had over .12 BAC and tested positive for cocaine, maryJ, and amphetamines. the family sued Cooper, and Cooper settled out of court for (rumor) $20million. why did they settle? because they knew even though they could prove in court that the tire failure was not due to a manufacturing defect they would still get their ass handed to them. all tire companies have gone through this same type of scenerio.

basically, if you ever have a tire fail- no matter what the reason- its your chance to get paid. only thing is the failure must cause an accident that kills someone.

This sounds similar to what happened to my wife and her BFG AT/KOs. She had been driving on the freeway December 2002, and she hit a christmas bulb which punctured her tread and caused her to lose air pressure. The tire deflated, tread separation occurred, but, she was thankfully able to pull to the side of the freeway while driving on the tire carcass and rim (M/T Classic II). She now has profound respect for the strength of a Mickey Thompson rim. :D

I would stick with a Load Range C tire.

-Ken

Back