• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on new cars

Haggard

Reaction score
City, State
Van Isle BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
I may be buying a new vehicle in the not too distant future ie 4-6 months. I'm looking for something a little more sporty then the X and something with a little more luxury as well. The 2 I'm most interested in are the '03 Lexus IS300 and the '03 Jaguar X Type 2.5. They're both comparable in options and price. The IS300 has about 20 hp more but the Jaguar is AWD. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions or has driven either of these cars. Thanks for any input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That's not a good review at all. I think I'll be adding the A4 to the list as a replacement

I'm gonna move this to the "All Other Makes and Models" thread.

Comparing the X Type to the IS300. The IS300 is a really neat little car, you're mostly going to notice a big difference in flavors when you look at them though. The IS300 is very sporty, the interior is very avant garde, it rides firm, big tires, very fun car though. The X Type is sort of on the other end of the spectrum, its much more luxurious. The A4 is a great car too, and its sort of in the middle of the two in a balance of luxury and sport.

The Lexus is dead reliable, and when it is in the shop, the service is the best at Lexus when compared to the three. I love Lexus service (as you've all heard about 352 times). The IS has the best resale value out of the three also, because of Lexus' topping the reliability and dependability charts. If I were you? I'd probably get the Audi because the IS300 is a little boy racerish for me, and the X Type is a little prissy looking, and has had very dissapointing reliability ratings and reviews.

Stephen since you have a Lexus maybe you could answer this question for me. Since Toyota and Lexus are for all intents and purposes the same company would I be able to have warranty work done at the Toyota dealership (which is a 20 minute drive) as opposed to the Lexus dealer (which is a 90 minute drive)? Also thanks for the links

Originally posted by Stephen
Also check out the Infiniti G35 sedan and coupe, really neat little cars!
I agree with Stephan, if your looking in the IS300 price range...hands down...the Infiniti G35 rules, especially the coupe, very fast and handles better then the IS300 which already handles damn well.

A girl I know at college here has a G35 coupe with a manual, and it plain out rocks, I love Nissan's VQ series engine, you couldn't believe that amount of torque is only comming from a 6 cylinder. I like the coupes looks a little better then the sedan version.

Either the G35 or the Audi A4 which is a very nice car, I love Audi's also, get the 1.8t with a chip, exhaust and new down-pipe, and intake and you'll have one very fast and torquey little bugger;)

Originally posted by SaleenEXP
I agree with Stephan, if your looking in the IS300 price range...hands down...the Infiniti G35 rules, especially the coupe, very fast and handles better then the IS300 which already handles damn well.

A girl I know at college here has a G35 coupe with a manual, and it plain out rocks, I love Nissan's VQ series engine, you couldn't believe that amount of torque is only comming from a 6 cylinder. I like the coupes looks a little better then the sedan version.

Either the G35 or the Audi A4 which is a very nice car, I love Audi's also, get the 1.8t with a chip, exhaust and new down-pipe, and intake and you'll have one very fast and torquey little bugger;)

What's the power like on a lightly modded A4 Quattro? The G35 I piriced was $1000 more then the A4 with similar options. Since the G35 has so much more power to begin with would you be able to mod an A4 to compete but not void the warranty?

Originally posted by Haggard
What's the power like on a lightly modded A4 Quattro? The G35 I piriced was $1000 more then the A4 with similar options. Since the G35 has so much more power to begin with would you be able to mod an A4 to compete but not void the warranty?
Still good, the 1.8t has an awsome tq band, holds full tq almost across the whole rpm range and barely drops off. Plus it sounds very throaty, not at all like all those fart box Honda and other 4cyl engines. Chip and down-pipe, exhaust and intake will easily put you in the low to mid 6's for 0-60 and 1/4 in the high 14's or so, with quattro they rocket off the line dropping the clutch.

You could mod it to G35 power, but you might void the warrenty by then. To reach G35 levels you would need to upgrade to a larger turbo and intercooler, can't remember what turbo comes stock on it, but if I remember correctly all the A4 guys with upgraded turbos run the KO4 turbo, go to www.Audiworld.com and you'll find probably everything you want to know.

The dealers, at least the cool ones like "Champion Motorsports" located where I live (worlds largest Porsche dealership and also includes a huge Audi section) don't really care unless you upgrade the turbos. Champion Motorsports alone offers a bunch of tuning and performance upgrades for Audi's.

edit - what about a slightly used S4, that would be right around what your looking to spend, and they definitley kick ass as I almost ended up with one but decided to wait for an new 4.6 Mounty, went to Champion Motorsports last May and test drove one with my mom and she liked it alot, but she likes fast cars anyway;)

Stephen since you have a Lexus maybe you could answer this question for me. Since Toyota and Lexus are for all intents and purposes the same company would I be able to have warranty work done at the Toyota dealership (which is a 20 minute drive) as opposed to the Lexus dealer (which is a 90 minute drive)? Also thanks for the links

my grandfathers lexus rx300 must be worked on by a lexus dealership, not toyota, dont ask me why? he has to drive far out of his way for warranty work.

I'd add the CTS to the list. We have one now while our SLS is in the shop, and wow - what an incredible little car.

Ry.

(LOL - notice how nobody has mentioned a BMW / Mercedes? Show's you how they're slowly loosing their grip.)

Interiors

Have you tried at least sitting in these cars? While company-car shopping, I checked out the X-Type and got stuck. Literally. I was getting in, and my legs got caught between the steering wheel and the door sill, and as I was already halfway sitting, I was pretty much wedged there. Luckily I could reach the power seat controls, so I moved it back and continued sitting. It was cramped, but cozy. However, when I moved to the back seat I almost felt claustrophobic. When I turned to look out the side window, all I saw was roof liner. I had to bow my head to look outside, because my knees didn't have any room to move forward. I love Ford, so I really wanted to like the Jaguar, but they seem designed for smaller people.

The IS300 is really nice, very sporty and it felt roomy enough. But the seat seemed a bit too firm, and I almost felt like I was sliding off the front.

However, the A4 seemed to be the most comfortable. The room of the Lexus, with the comfort of the Audi. Not to mention front and rear heated seats.

Well, going shopping right now. Going to check out the IS300, A4, X-Type, Caddy and just for kicks '03 WRX and Mustang Cobra

Not warranty work, but Toyota dealerships can do all scheduled maintenance and non warranty repairs, for a LOT cheaper too.

Think about it, it would be a big strike to Lexus' image in the industry (it takes heat already) if they let their Toyota dealerships handle warranty repairs.

You wont ever have to have any warranty work done though ;)

And the Lexus dealer will drive the 90 minutes for your business I'm sure.

Originally posted by rvitek

(LOL - notice how nobody has mentioned a BMW / Mercedes? Show's you how they're slowly loosing their grip.)

Its not that they're loosing their grip, they just price themselves right out of their perspective classes.

If you have a lot of money to waste, get a BMW or a Mercedes, if you're concerned about what you get for your money, and you want more than just a badge for it, those companies have nothing to offer.

The 3 Series BMW is the no question best little luxury sport car out there, but its way too expensive, he'd have to spend $10,000 more than any of those cars to get a 3 series that compared to them in equipment.

And I dont care for the C series Benz, goofy looking ;)

Also not to mention, you can deal on the Lexus, Audi, Infiniti, Jag and Caddy, if you suggest to a BMW or Benz dealership you'd like a discount, they look at you like you have three heads.

Originally posted by rvitek

The C-class is nice, but it seriously feels like the entire car is a cell-phone accessory. Once you get in the car, with your Mercedes cell phone, the car takes control of it. You can voice dial through the visor, scroll through your phone book from the steering wheel, or dial a number direct from your stereo. And if you don't have a Mercedes cell phone, you're left with a bunch of buttons that don't do squat. You can't even order the car without them.

The 3-series is, well, it's a fun car to drive. But I visited two different BMW dealerships and was treated horribly. I pulled up in a Mercedes, was dressed well and was ready to shop. But the first dealership ignored me, and the second said $40,000 couldn't buy a decent car, and that maybe I should look at one of their used models in back.

Oh Woody, BMW dealers are terrible, Benz isnt much better though.

Before I got my LS400, I almost bought a 740i, thats where my line about them not wanting to deal was. The salesman was a jerk, but I liked the car. We sat down to deal, and I had done my homework well enough to know that the car commanded a good price, but that I should expect about a $1,000 discount off MSRP. So I informed the salesman that if we could meet this price, then I'd walk out of there in the new 7, and leave my Cadillac behind. He chuckles and says "Look man (he was something like 28 or 30 too) if you can't afford the car, we can look at something cheaper, now can you afford this car or not?". Worst thing is, my son is sitting right next to me, he was 16 or so. To say something like this to someone is bad enough, but with their son right there? I said Fine, and walked out to the showroom floor, it was a busy Friday afternoon. I told everyone what this salesman had said to me, and the way in which he said it, and I suggested to all of them that they take their business to another BMW dealership that had a basic respect for their customers as people.

I'll tell you what, I cleared the showroom floor. EVERYONE walked right out with me. We got in the car and rode over to the Lexus dealership, I wound up liking the LS400 a lot more than the 7, and the rest is history.

Funny thing was, I sat down to deal with the Lexus salesman, I made him an offer, he said "Actually, we already had an offer made up" and handed me a slip of paper, $500 less than my offer, so we agreed on that! Great service, the best car buying experience I've EVER had.

I wrote the general manager of the BMW dealership a letter informing him of the fabulous job his salesman did of steering me towards the competition, and how right he was that I couldnt afford that 7 series (that was a whopping $2,000 more than the LS400). I also enclosed a picture of me standing beside my new Lexus, the salesman's business card, and a photocopy of my $30,000 paycheck for that month. I sent it to the dealership, and BMW of North America. Never heard back from BMW NA, but the GM of the dealership sent me a VERY apologetic letter informing me that this salesman had been terminanted.

I also almost got knocked down by a Mercedes salesman as I walked into the dealership in 2001 when I was looking at the S Class, he just stepped right in front of me, and slammed the door right in my face.

Maybe its a failing in me, but I want to be appreciated as a shopper for an $85,000 car, I dont want to feel like I should appreciate thist GREAT company and the'se GREAT cars.

"Oh thank you Mercedes salesman for even seeing me today!"

Screw that.

The IS300 is the same car as the Toyota Altezza right?

I am in fricken love with that car. The guy who sold my bro his Jeep bought one of those and riced it out with a body kit and rims and sport suspension and alot more goodies. Not only is it very sporty I just love the idea that it is a high performance sedan and when it is riced out it seems so rich. In my opinion screw the other cars get that one. I love it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ass opposed to an I4 im guessing?

Is the IS300 faster?

You have to agree that somehow the thought of ricing out(well sporty rice not make you want to fall over laughing rice) an expensive luxury car is cool in some way that I havent been able to pu tin words yet..

Back