Opinions on tires? federal,bfg,goodyear | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Opinions on tires? federal,bfg,goodyear

Hey everyone hows it going?
well im in the market for new tires for the x and i have 3 different brands that catch my eye.
if some of you have used these tires and could let me know how they were that would be awesome.
anyways heres what tires im looking into
all 31x10.5 R15lt

BFG Mud terrain
mud_terrain_large.jpg

Goodyear territory, iv heard there are only in canada?
0052335_450_CC_v1_m56577569830969237.jpg

Federal couragia MT
Federal%20MT.jpg

I havent heard anything about the federals, or the goodyears but my uncle had the bfg mt's and he says they absolutly suck in the winter but were awesome in the mud/dirt.
i will be using these tires in the winter, also the x is a 97 limited soon to have shackles and tt just been busy with my other hobby haha
thanks everyone for your input

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you want some great tires the Cooper Discoverer STT plus tires are awesome. I know it isnt one of your choices, but if you check it out, wow. THey are awesome tires.

you could save a whole lot of cash and go with treadwright.com, I''ve been running their tires for years, and they rock.

Well i checked out that site, i think they only ship within the states.
all the tires are pretty much the same, the bf are a little more.
i just checked out those coopers, they look pretty decent
im gonna call and price them out today.

I'd probably go with the BFGs myself, but that's entirely a personal opinion, you also might want to check into the new BFG Mud Terrain T/A KM2, that's the tire that's supposed to replace the Mud Terrain T/A KM, it's got a new tread design, stronger sidewalls (which I thought they already had) and it's got a lot of its design added from the Krawler T/A KX tire, and it's supposed to be more streetable. I have no idea how they perform in the snow/ice. My All-Terrain T/A KOs do pretty well for me. TireRack.com has some reviews on the handling characteristics of tires, but there's no way to say if those are that accurate because apparently most people on this board aren't too fond of the Destination A/Ts from Firestone, which receive very high rankings on TireRack.com

My opinion.

Avoid Goodyear at all cost. Never had a set I liked and WAY over priced. I have had BFG's and liked them a lot.

Well i ended up not going with any of those tires.
i found a set of roughrider m+s 31x10.5r15's locally for 200 bucks
wow what a difference, going from ****ty highway tires to these is quite a difference, absolutely no rubbing either and i have some really bad rear end sag.
Very noisy tires thou.

Back