opinions plaese | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

opinions plaese

LivnLarge

Reaction score
should i go with 3 jl w6 12's with 800 watt Soundstream amp, or 4 jl w3 12's with 1200 watt MMATS amp?please keep money in mind while replying

Hi LivnLarge,

If money is a key issue, then try looking at the Image
Dynamics IDQs. Cheaper than the JLs, and absolutely fantastic sound. Go to a rec.audio.car NG on deja.com or remarq.com and if you do searches for the historical JL vs. IDQ thread, you'll find that almost anyone who responded favored the IDQs by a large margin. I heard some and was very impressed, especially with the smaller price tag.

Also, really think about how much bass you want before you don't want anymore. It's hard to decide between your two choices, because they're not that similar. The first choice has fewer subs and less power, though they are W6s, I doubt you will notice a huge difference between the W3s and W6s provided they are in the optimum boxes. I don't remember off hand, but I think the W6s were just helpful in the fact that they take a really small box size. Could be wrong, but if that's a factor, how important is trunk space to you?

If I had the money though, shoot, why not take the second option?! :D

thanks,jtang. i just want a system that will be hard enough to enter in some iasca events. trunk space is no thing to me..i'll take a look at the idq's

I'd also go with IDQ subs By Image Dynamics those subs are very great sounding. For a amp you might want to looking into JBL's BP1200.1 a class d amp that is 1 ohm stable and ment just for subs. You can find it on the inter net for about 375 to 450 dallors and the subs are about 110 to 150 dallors a peice. so that would be from 815 to 1050 dallors witch is far cheaper then your first set up. So then you can look in to new compnents and amps maybe focal MB quarts Image Dynamics make very very good compnents for not a bad price at all under 300 dallors on the internet and maybe a p.g. amp or a ppi amp at least one. One for each side is very ideal, this gives you full adjustablitie of each speaker making tuning a lot easier.

Back