• Register Today It's free!

Opinons on Shocks

tootall2

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
Hey guys, I wanted your opinions about shocks for a 2001 Explorer Sport. I've replaced mine at least 3 times now within the last 115K. I've had the cheap monroe gas shocks, KYB gas shocks, and the factory set. I was thinking about going with Blisteins. What kind do you have? Do you like them? How many miles do you get out of them?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i have bilsteins, they ride really nice. i've had them since last winter i think. very pleased.

My 04 Ranger (level II) came stock with Bilstein 5100s. I have almost 75,000 miles no problems. I have them on my X. I cannot say enough good things about them. They are worth the money. Shop around you can usually get them for aroune $75 each.

Ive had the KYB GR2's and IAS's on my sport... I had IAS's on my 1st gen... Still haven't seen a shock that makes such a difference as the IAS's. Can't say enough good about them!

I put Gabriel Max Controls on my Explorer, I liked them a lot, greatly improved handling, but then my dad got Monroe Sensa Tracks on his Expedition, and I like those better, a lot less bouncing then the Gabriel. Both the my Explorer and his Expedition tow better then before, but there was a much more noticeable improvement with the Monroes.

Who makes the IAS's? Is that Edelbrock?

AutoZone carries the Bilsteins (in this area at least). They're $70 each when not on sale.

I've had SensaTracs on my Ex twice... they're great for about the first 10,000 miles, and then they're shot. I had a set of Rancho RSX's on it too... same deal, but at least they were good for 15k. I'll likely install the Bilsteins before winter. Both the Ex and the F-150 need 'em.

-Joe

I'm getting ready to replace what appear to be the original factory shocks on my '98 5.0 AWD at 78,000 miles. I ordered KYB GR2 from shockwarehouse.com. They are an ExplorerForum.com vendor. With a promotional code, I got all 4 shocks shipped for $106 or $108... can't remember exactly. I'll be installing them this weekend along with a ProComp short AAL. I'll also be doing a TT.

I just threw a set of Pro Comp ES3000's on my Explorer. So far, I can't complain. Got them for a streal, too.

I've got the Edelbrocks. Decent ride on decent pavement, really decent handling on decent pavement. Really gives a healthy whack on broken pavement when hit with any speed though. Only mild of road and they flex well enough at low speed. 36k on them and they're holding up great. I would like to add a new stabilizer shock to the rear end (factory with almost 112k now) but it does not come in IAS, so I will probably go Bilstien, and replace all the bushings with Energy Suspension.

Bottom line... A vote of confidence for the Edelbrock IAS.

BTW, I recently posted a write-up of how to install your own shocks. It's an easy task that EVERYONE should do at their home. There is no reason to pay a garage to do this for you. The write-up can be found here:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=223149

...and it is also linked in my signature.

I just replaced the Edelbrock's that came on mine a few weeks ago with Bilsteins. The Edelbrock's were extremely harsh and I wouldn't reccomend them. I never read a bad thing about Bilstein's on here which is what I based my purchase on. I'm very pleased with them and I got them new off of ebay for $259 shipped off of ebay. Very happy with the service and the product. I highly recommend them.

Here is the link depending on what you have. "techdeals1" is the ebay store though.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BILS...010QQitemZ200243226148QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Back