• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

• We are aware of the issue with our internal search engine and we will be bringing it back online shortly. For now please use the Google search bar near the top of each page. Thanks, Rick
^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

Optimum antenna length for FM radio?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Is there one? I seem to recall hearing once that 40something inches would give the best reception.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Antenna length is based on frequency not FM or AM modulation.

What frequency are you working ?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Sandy, I have no clue how to answer your question.
On the off chance you think I'm a 'knowledgable radio guy' asking about some other type of radio, I'm talking about my stock Ford am/fm radio/cassette and stock antenna. I was hoping you or Ray might know.

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
RangerX,
No problem here, I thought you were setting up a two way radio in your vehicle, i.e. CB, HAM...

The stock radio antenna that comes with the vehicle is a good compromise for all of the station that your radiocan receive or for any AM/FM broadcast radio that you may buy.

The only time you should worry about the length of an antenna would be if you wanted to listen to one station in particular; you would then find out the broadcast frequency and have an antenna cut to length for that specific frequency. BUT, I have never heard of anyone having a custom antenna made for the AM/FM broadcasting frequencies.

If you do not receive the stations that you want or the station does not come in as well as you would like it, it may be the radio itself. Look into an after market radio; one with a better receiver than a stock radio. Buy a name brand, i.e. Pioneer, Sony, or any other big company.

I hope all of this helps, I tend to go on and on.

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
Sandy, nothing wrong with going on and on, there's no such thing as too much information!
I'm not having a problem with reception. I was thinking there's probably one length on a stock adjustable antenna (it telescopes) that would work best for the whole FM band, but your comments lead me to think that isn't true. I realize it's pretty trivial, but is fully extended the position it's meant to be in? I'm thinking free optimization, here!

Ray Hutchinson

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Dana Point, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Braodcast FM antenna length

Bill,

You can calculate the length of any 1/4 wave antenna by dividing 234 by the frequency desired in mHz. This gives you the approx. length in feet. To get it in inches, simply multiply by 12.

So for FM broadcast, which has a range of 88-108 mHz, you could calculate for mid band (unless you have a special station you listen to all the time). This would be 98 mHz. so....

234/98 = 2.388 ft X 12" = 28.7"

If you go to the bottom of the band, 88 mHz it becomes 234/88 = 2.66' X 12" = 31.9"

Just for the fun of it, I measured the factory antennas on three cars and they ranged from 29" to 32", essentially what we calculated above. I'd probably go for the 32" length, since recieve antennas aren't as length critical as transmit antennas. Hope this helps.

Sandy

Reaction score
City, State
Boston Area
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ranger Edge
Telescoping Ant

Ok on the antenna telescoping... that is a little different, have never heard of it on an FM mobile antenna.

Try Ray's method, as was mentioned, it will work.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Optimum Mounting location 1st/2nd Gen Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 10
M Low Profile Antenna for Short Distance Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
B cb radio/antenna help Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
1 Antenna help! Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
T CB Radio and antenna install on a 3rd Generation Explorer Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
1 Antenna question? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 20
Dan Whitaker Permanent antenna mounts Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
D Antenna Problem Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 27
T Automatic Lowering Antenna - HOW?! Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 9
C New to Radios, Need Antenna and CB Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 10
LONO100 i can hear my buddy, but he cant hear me. which antenna needs adjustment? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
A Roof Mounted Antenna? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
R Pictures of my antenna mount as requested (not pretty) Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
M antenna spacing (tx vs rx) Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
N How to put a 3x5 flag on a cb antenna? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
T brake light antenna mount Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 19
N What do you guys think about duel antenna's? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 8
G Mirror Antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
Elessar65 CB antenna in stock radio antenna location Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
joker1457 CB Antenna Question Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
I Tail light antenna mount install Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 21
I Antenna stud mount with ring connector? How to connect to cable? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
I Roof mount CB antenna? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
N PLEASE HELP!!! High swr on my roof rack mounted antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 12
BlackHawk09er Antenna mount Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
Turdle Dual antenna install ??? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 26
P Wire CB to stock FM Antenna? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
L HOW TO: ball mount for CB antenna installation Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 25
BillyBob82 no antenna=no noise? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 22
J midland glass mount antenna to any cb Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 2
J antenna/coax question Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 3
storlied Antenna Size? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 55
storlied Lets see your antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 5
E 3rd Gen CB / Antenna set ups please show. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 11
storlied antenna grounding ?s Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 19
T CB/PA/Antenna Help Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
H Antenna Choise Problem Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
T Antenna brackets Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
Paraphoe CB and antenna install pics Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 17
O Whip antenna help Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 1
M CB antenna... Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 32
Maniak antenna location confusion.. Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 7
Paraphoe Running antenna coax into cab? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 31
K tuning antenna in Albuquerque Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 8
A Antenna ?!? Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 4
Y CB Antenna Q Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 10
B CB Radio & Antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 22
X mounting a lil willie antenna roof mount style Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 6
L Folding down the antenna... Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 13
F CB antenna Ham Radio - CB - Trail Communications 15