• Register Today It's free!

Options for lifting the front

E-rock

Reaction score
City, State
virginia beach
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 xls 4wd 4dr
i wanna do SOA in the rear with my leafs but i feel like theres only one way to lift the front which would be a solid axle swap. is there any way to even the front out with the back other than SAS? what do the superlift and trailmaster kits do to make the front end higher?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Torsion twist or "TT" do a search there are plenty of threads:thumbsup:

yeah i dont know what that guy is talking about. i already have a tt and shackles. anyone got an answer?

sorry my bad i didnt know you already did the shackles/TT

No worries gt.

I've seen the long travel suspension before, but i can't justify spending 3 g's on a suspension lift when im not a serious off roader. i take my x out to some mud pits and few trails here and there but im definitely not in it for the competitions or anything like that. I'm trying to find an easy/economical way to lift the front end but im pretty sure the only way is go with a body lift (which i dont want). i dont have the tools to fabricate new control arms or drill new mounting brackets so i guess im SOL. :(

Watch for used lift kits, they pop up occasionally for a decent price.

Even with a 4" suspension lift, I don't recommend a SOA in the rear, its just too high, IMO. I tried it. For ~$350 you can get Superlift springs, I'll be doing it soon.

For a cheaper, but stiffer rear lift, shackles and the F150 leaf mod can get you ~4"

Watch for used lift kits, they pop up occasionally for a decent price.

Even with a 4" suspension lift, I don't recommend a SOA in the rear, its just too high, IMO. I tried it. For ~$350 you can get Superlift springs, I'll be doing it soon.

For a cheaper, but stiffer rear lift, shackles and the F150 leaf mod can get you ~4"

do you have a link for what to do with just the springs?

awesome, much obliged amigo.

so...back to the original question, is there any other backyard-mechanic-style-do-it-yourself-in-the-garage-with-a-hot-iron-and-socket-set way to lift the front? or is it basically mandatory to buy the aftermarket superlift kit. theres no way im going to have 6'' in the back and 2'' in the front.

as ugly as body lifts look, i feel like im running out of options!

Not really any way to "diy" a lift. SAS will get you 6" but its very, very involved. A suspension lift doesn't really gain much in clearance over a BL, the crossmembers and whatnot all drop down, so there isn't really much gain.

lol.

so i should just be happy with the 2 inches i've got and get an old toyota pick-up to play with.

i just dont like being able to see the 3'' gap through the wheel well. i can always notice a body lift right off the bat and i feel like its the ****ty way to go because its just plastic pieces separating the frame. plus im afraid if i get hit by another car all the bolts will snap and the body will swing halfway off the chassis.

i just dont like being able to see the 3'' gap through the wheel well. i can always notice a body lift right off the bat and i feel like its the ****ty way to go because its just plastic pieces separating the frame. plus im afraid if i get hit by another car all the bolts will snap and the body will swing halfway off the chassis.

What's wrong with that? Airplanes have ejector seats, why can't explorers have ejector bodies...

why not a sloped body lift?...all SOA in the rear then TT and BL up front...it has been done successfully...ill look for the link

what does SOA mean just curious...?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I did a sloped bodylift and pulled out one of the leafs in the back, and then I still had to get longer bolts to get about 2~3” of tt. It was level maybe even a little higher in the front and worked alright, the ride was stiff though.

The positives to doing a sloped body are that there is no frame-body gap in the rear and you don’t have long shackles hanging either.

I was very happy with the results of the sloped body lift, although I eventually ended up getting a superlift kit for the front to soften the ride back up and I put the leaf in rear back in.

Here is a pic with just the sloped body lift, SOA and 2~3” tt.

3030400_3_full.jpg

3030400_5_full.jpg

Back