Options for third brake light not working? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Options for third brake light not working?

Vikram

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer XLT 4W
Just noticed today that my third brake light doesn't work. It seems complicated cos I can't find any bulb that can be replaced. What do you guys recommend?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just noticed today that my third brake light doesn't work. It seems complicated cos I can't find any bulb that can be replaced. What do you guys recommend?
You need to replace the whole unit. Rock auto has them listed. Don't know your year And model.

Yeah, annoyingly it's all one piece. I just recently replaced mine with a smoked one to match the truck, not a fun replacement since the bolts were rusted. Just hoping that's all the issue is for you

You need to replace the whole unit. Rock auto has them listed. Don't know your year And model.

Yeah, annoyingly it's all one piece. I just recently replaced mine with a smoked one to match the truck, not a fun replacement since the bolts were rusted. Just hoping that's all the issue is for you

Found it thank you Pete! Yeah It's very interesting because I always figured it was just a bulb but it seems to have a ballast and seems to be some kind of HID or LED. Which is cool because all time I had an HID or LED light and didn't even know it xD Especially being from 1995 I figured it would just be some kind of halogen bulb! Ain't cheap tho! About $150 and the install is something I can't do myself so gonna end up going to the body shop! People ask me why I still keep this 1995 explorer but tbh it's been running pretty much trouble free so I am willing to do things like this! Also as far as engine stuff goes I really like how simple and pragmatic everything is!

I think they are xenon.

Usually I'm against converting (most) lights to LED but in this case it makes perfect sense. You simply get it open, toss in a $5 red LED strip in meant for 12V , and run the 12V that was going to the inverter, directly to the LED strip instead. Seal it back up with sensor safe RTV or epoxy and Bob's Yer Uncle.

There may be topics about doing this, I'm sure it's been mentioned but with luck maybe someone has pics posted too.

I think the early years of the Gen 2 were xenon or whatever. My 98 and 99 both have LED units.

When I go to the pick n pull, I try to grab one so I have at least one on hand. They fail periodically. Same with hatch glass hinges.

^ Yes they were neon or fluorescent or whatever, it doesn't really matter, main thing was they have a ballast in series and it's not just a simple bulb swap, depending on whether it's the bulb at all or the ballast, or a wiring or connector fault. Many have done the conversion to LED which just entails heating up the housing, just enough to soften the adhesive holding it together, pop it open and throw a series of LEDs in.

Some people have had luck spraying contact cleaner into the trailer connector, apparently years of road salt can cause just enough of a conductive short to prevent sufficient voltage from getting to the ballast.

Most accounts I've read, and seen on my '98 put the trailer harness connector (if it has one) up under the bumper on the left side, but I have seen a report from someone with a '97 that it's on the right side.

Here's a topic by Koda2000 when he did the LED conversion on a '97:

Dorman sells an LED drop-in replacement, but it's expensive for what it is, $140+ from listings I found. Dorman 923-202

Here's another writeup: Tom's '97 XLT registry

Topic with lots of pics: Third Brake Light (High Mount) repair using LED's - Warning...A Lot Of Pictures!!

I bought an LED strip at Walmart for $10-12 - there might have been 2 in the package. They're meant to be cut to needed length. Not hard to do at all.

Ignore last post .What I meant was had same prob. repl. ballast $30 J/Y month later same thing.Removed ballast & light assy. Pried assy. open repl.xenon bulb w/2 led strips about 12" long self stick to reflector wired to 12V balast power conn. Seal up w/RTV and prob.solved .1 more thing you may have to drill a couple of rivets just be careful& dont go to. Big and repair w/sm screws good luck.

I seem to remember mine having the same issue and replaced the unit (ballast) back in 2002 for my 95. This was a dealer part F5TZ*13B511*A and I paid $75 for it. Just for reference.

Seem to be a bit more expensive now. Wondering if it is worth a trip to the bone yard.

^ I have no problem with junkyard parts for many things but would avoid getting a now ~25 y/o ballast or bulb there, though I might get a spare lens housing if uneasy about the thought of putting my original in an oven to soften the adhesive to pop it open, to put an LED strip in.

I seem to remember mine having the same issue and replaced the unit (ballast) back in 2002 for my 95. This was a dealer part F5TZ*13B511*A and I paid $75 for it. Just for reference.

Seem to be a bit more expensive now. Wondering if it is worth a trip to the bone yard.
Part is discontinue!!

They have some for $10 on ebay, but they are from China. There must be a lot of these trucks around, one seller sold hundreds of them :lol:
The Dorman one is crazy overpriced.

The other option is a pick and pull or splitting the assembly and installing lots of red LEDS.

Back