• Register Today It's free!

Order code TD3 tire package

Reaction score
City, State
Cleveland
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ford Explorer Sport
Hello,

I'm ordering a '14 Sport tomorrow and I've got my list of options finalized except for one. On the Ford Dealer Network options list there is an option code TD3 for P265/45/ZR20 for retail 995 invoice 868. Does anyone know what tires these are? I'm assuming summer only performance tires but are they worth the $868 or do I just wear out the stock tires and when I upgrade/replace get what I want?

I plan on buying a set of winter wheels for Ohio weather anyhow. Any information would be great!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They are Continental ContiSportContact 5 tires. They will handle a little better and have more steering response than the Hankooks but will wear out much faster due to the softer compound. To replace them they are not cheap either.

And they are terrible on snow/ice, which I'm guessing you see a lot of in Cleveland!

Wow I looked those up on Tirerack and they're very pricey indeed. However getting them instead of some very average all season tire might definitely be worth it. I'll definitely have to think about getting that upgrade.

Thanks

Buy a new set and see if the dealer will let you swap them out when delivered maybe? The toyo 402s is a great tire with 420 rating and an aggressive pattern. I hear it does pretty well in the snow but doesn't seem like you will have to worry about that. If not I bet you could just sell those contis as new on ebay or craigslist and get all 868 back, put a different set on, problem solved.

It's interesting that they go from Hankook OEM to Conti's for a one up...

Wont you be ordering a 15 MY since March 15th was last day for 14MY order bank?

I thought they extended the MY 14 order point?

Well I'm sure I'll get a phone call if the order is rejected but as of 5:30pm Monday the 17th the order was placed with Ford. I'll let you know if it does change.

I opted not to get TD3 tires. I'll see how bad he stock A/S tires are and maybe upgrade after winter. I do intend to purchase winter wheels with performance snow tires. I have them on my WRX STi and its amazing. Absolutely worth the price of admission for winter time driving.

Back