• Register Today It's free!

Ordered my LiveWire!

Frank 03GT

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mountaineer V8 AWD
Ordered it from James. I was just going to get the XCAL3, but the LW is just so pimp. My truck is a hair slower off the line from the bigger tires, so I figure this will get me what I lost and then some. I was thinking about 4.56 gears as well, but I think I'll wait and see what kind of difference the LiveWire makes. I'm SO excited...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are going to love it. Should make a noticable difference. For me it wasn't like "DA*MMMMMMMMM!!!!" but more like "Oh yeah!" If that even makes sense? I went with the X3 just because it was cheaper. Also, I think 4.56 gears would be a little overkill if you are on the highway much. If you are in town more and do some occasional off-roading, then I guess those gears would be okay. Congrats on the purchase:)

Sounds good. I'm hoping for a little more power and a lot more drivability. I hear so many good things about James's transmission programming. I really hope it doesn't take so long hunting for the right gear when I mash the gas like it does now.

I was considering 4.56's for 2 reasons. The first is that it's kind of expensive, so I want to get the most bang for my buck. Secondly, since I have AWD, I could probably get some killer 60' times with 4.56's. Hopefully around 1.9 seconds. I'm not expecting to run 14's, but I might get pretty damn close with 4.56's. The other ratio I would consider would be 4.10. It's just so hard to find any opinions from people who've re-geared a 3rd gen...

Screw it. Go with 4.56 gears. It will be more "peppy" and with the overdrive, should still be fine on the highway. Here is a calculator I found that will allow you to input tire size, rear gear and trans gear to see what mph you run at a certain rpm. I think our overdrive gear is .75. Have fun:)

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sgalaba/mph.htm

Thanks for the link. It looks like I'd be turning 2000rpm at 55 and 2500 at 68. I don't go any faster than that, so I think I'll be alright. I can't wait - I just need to find someone where I live who will do the job for a fair price.

That's the thing, it won't be cheap. When I put 35's on my Ranger, I regeared to 4.56's and the gears cost me $335 dollars. I did the install myself with the help of my dad to keep the cost down. I think it will cost at least $700(gears and labor) or more for someone who knows how to do it right. I have heard quotes up to $1200 that others on here have gotten. Good luck and let us know what you find out.

Back