Ordered My New 2018 Explorer

Exit32

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Boston, Mass.
Year, Model & Trim Level
2022 Aviator Reserve
I ordered a 2018 Explorer Platinum on August 9. I got to choose the vehicle and my wife selected the color. This time, it's going to be the new Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat -- the longest paint-color name I've ever seen.

If Ford's current scheduling and production schedule is accurate, I predict delivery in mid-November.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a 2018 Explorer Platinum on August 9. I got to choose the vehicle and my wife selected the color. This time, it's going to be the new Burgundy Velvet Metallic Tinted Clearcoat -- the longest paint-color name I've ever seen.

If Ford's current scheduling and production schedule is accurate, I predict delivery in mid-November.
Good luck with that delivery timeline. Unless Ford has got their production down to 4 weeks I would suspect end of November to mid December or so as a more realistic time frame. As for the name, while it appears to be 'unique' Ford actually has a few similarly long colour names. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it.:thumbsup:

Peter

Just contacted some dealers in Canada, still no sign when the 2018 new explorer models could be ordered.

Just contacted some dealers in Canada, still no sign when the 2018 new explorer models could be ordered.

From my past history with ordering Explorers, the order bank for Canadian orders has been opened 4 to 6 weeks after the US order bank opens. I guess that would make it early to mid September.

From my past history with ordering Explorers, the order bank for Canadian orders has been opened 4 to 6 weeks after the US order bank opens. I guess that would make it early to mid September.

Thank you Whickey24, hope Ford Canada could take orders sooner. I'm not sure if Ford US has already officially started taking order now? On their websites, still no information of 2018 explorer models.

I saw some awesome Polished stainless power-deployable running boards on an expedition that I wish I could order for the explorer...

On Saturday, I was told by a dealer sales, the 2018 explorer will start to take order on Oct.4th. in Canada. Just day after the employee price expires. Not sure if it's true.

On Saturday, I was told by a dealer sales, the 2018 explorer will start to take order on Oct.4th. in Canada. Just day after the employee price expires. Not sure if it's true.
Both the Ford Employee Pricing and the $1000 Costco rebate expire on October 2nd.

Peter

Both the Ford Employee Pricing and the $1000 Costco rebate expire on October 2nd.

Peter
So it is impossible to take the both benefits for the new 2018 models?

So it is impossible to take the both benefits for the new 2018 models?
Yes, unless you can order it before October 2nd.

My local dealer says they can't take orders yet, only info of what you want to put you in the queue. They did have pricing info but claim it's not an actual order. I had more information than they do. Any advice? Thanks!

I have been checking builds for some research and noted that they appear to be running 18 Explorer test builds through the assembly line. As a side note they have Sync3 V3.0 in them.

They are currently building PP builds and according to my sources, the SYNC3 v3.0 is for the 2018 models with the 4G modem included in the SYNC3 system.

My local dealer says they can't take orders yet, only info of what you want to put you in the queue. They did have pricing info but claim it's not an actual order. I had more information than they do. Any advice? Thanks!

After the order bank opened on August 4, I was able to place an order for a 2018 Explorer at my local (Massachusetts) Ford dealer. The deal I negotiated was based on the dealer's invoice price, and that price was available when I placed my order on August 9.

From what I understand, my order was "unscheduled" when I submitted it, but I did receive an Order Number from my sales guy on August 28. This may (or may not) indicate that the factory has started to schedule MY2018 production. Word on the street is that 2018 Explorer production should commence on October 16.

My advice is to ask your sales person to attempt to submit your order for a 2018 Explorer. I'm certain the order will be accepted by Ford.

After the order bank opened on August 4, I was able to place an order for a 2018 Explorer at my local (Massachusetts) Ford dealer. The deal I negotiated was based on the dealer's invoice price, and that price was available when I placed my order on August 9.

From what I understand, my order was "unscheduled" when I submitted it, but I did receive an Order Number from my sales guy on August 28. This may (or may not) indicate that the factory has started to schedule MY2018 production. Word on the street is that 2018 Explorer production should commence on October 16.

My advice is to ask your sales person to attempt to submit your order for a 2018 Explorer. I'm certain the order will be accepted by Ford.
Initial Order Acceptance - August 4th, Scheduling Begins - August 31st, 2018 Production Start Up - October 16th. This info is from the Ford Production Schedule.
http://www.donlen.com/buildstart-trucks-ford.html

Peter

Thanks! I'm also in Massachusetts. I'm thinking at this point to maybe wait out another New England winter with my current '13 XLT then place an order for a new '18 in January or February with potential delivery in the spring. The idea of taking delivery of a new vehicle in December in Massachusetts with the weather we have doesn't sound like a good idea to me!

Thanks! I'm also in Massachusetts. I'm thinking at this point to maybe wait out another New England winter with my current '13 XLT then place an order for a new '18 in January or February with potential delivery in the spring. The idea of taking delivery of a new vehicle in December in Massachusetts with the weather we have doesn't sound like a good idea to me!
If you wait until Spring 2018, you could be about a year or so away from the 'redesigned' Explorer.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you wait until Spring 2018, you could be about a year or so away from the 'redesigned' Explorer.

Peter

Do you know if '18 will be a short run? I remember '12 was to bring in the changes for '13 which I why I waited then! I've seen the spy photos for what looks to be the '19 and I'm not a fan of the new body style. Really like what I have just looking to upgrade a bit. Thanks so much!

Back